Organic Chemistry Q&A: Boiling Pts, Haloalkanes & Tests

In summary, the boiling points of alkenes are lower than alkanes due to weaker intermolecular forces, haloalkanes have higher boiling points due to increased surface area and stronger intermolecular forces, and tests such as the bromine water test and measurements of carbon dioxide and ethanol production can be used to identify compounds and test yeast fermentation.
prime-factor
Hello. I have a couple of questions.

Why are the boiling points of alkenes lower than alkanes?

My thinking: something with van der waas forces?. Not sure.

Why do haloalkanes have higher boiling points than alkanes?

My thinking: dipole-dipole forces?

What is an experiment that can be used to identify an alkane, an alkene and a carboxyllic acid from each other?

My thinking: Test 1) Bromine water test to identify alkane. Test 2) then to differentiate between carboxyllic acid and alkene, react them with a base, and you will be left with an alkene?

What is a test that can be used to test yeast fermentation?

My thinking: yeast in closed container with sugar. then test alcohol content at certain intervals?. I need some help here on how to design a better test.

Thanks in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The boiling points of alkenes are lower than alkanes because alkenes have weaker intermolecular forces such as Van der Waals forces, whereas alkanes have stronger intermolecular forces such as London dispersion forces. Haloalkanes have higher boiling points than alkanes because the halogen atoms increase the surface area of the molecule and increase the strength of the intermolecular forces. To identify an alkane, an alkene and a carboxylic acid from each other, you can do the following tests: for the alkane, perform a bromine water test; for the alkene, perform a bromine water test followed by an addition of a base (which will cause the bromine to clear); and for the carboxylic acid, perform the bromine water test followed by an addition of an acid (which will cause the bromine to turn back into a dark orange/brown color). To test yeast fermentation, you can measure the rate of carbon dioxide production over time. You can also measure the amount of ethanol produced over time or measure the amount of sugar left in the solution after fermentation has been completed.

Hello there,

Thank you for your questions. I am happy to provide some answers and explanations to help clarify your understanding of organic chemistry.

1. The boiling points of alkenes are lower than alkanes because alkenes have a double bond between two carbon atoms, making them more polar than alkanes. This results in stronger intermolecular forces between molecules, leading to a higher boiling point for alkenes.

2. Haloalkanes have higher boiling points than alkanes because the halogen atoms (such as chlorine, bromine, or iodine) in haloalkanes contribute to stronger dipole-dipole interactions and London dispersion forces. These forces increase with the size of the halogen atom, resulting in higher boiling points for haloalkanes compared to alkanes.

3. Your thinking for the experiment to identify an alkane, alkene, and carboxylic acid is correct. The bromine water test can be used to distinguish between an alkane (no reaction), an alkene (decolorization of the bromine water due to addition reaction), and a carboxylic acid (acid-base reaction to form a salt and water).

4. A test that can be used to test yeast fermentation is the production of carbon dioxide gas. As you mentioned, yeast can be placed in a closed container with sugar, and the production of carbon dioxide can be measured using a gas collection tube or pressure sensor. Other tests that can be used include measuring the change in pH or the production of ethanol.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Happy experimenting!

1. What is the definition of boiling point in organic chemistry?

In organic chemistry, boiling point refers to the temperature at which a liquid substance reaches its vapor pressure, causing it to change from a liquid to a gas state.

2. Why are haloalkanes important in organic chemistry?

Haloalkanes, also known as alkyl halides, are important in organic chemistry because they are commonly used as starting materials or intermediates in organic synthesis. They also have a wide range of industrial and biological applications.

3. How can I determine the boiling point of a particular organic compound?

The boiling point of an organic compound can be determined through a technique called fractional distillation. This involves heating the substance and collecting the vapors that are produced at different temperatures. The temperature at which the most vapors are collected is the boiling point.

4. What are some common tests used to identify organic compounds?

Some common tests used to identify organic compounds include the solubility test, flame test, and functional group tests. The solubility test involves dissolving the compound in different solvents to determine its solubility. The flame test involves burning the compound to observe the color of the flame, which can indicate the presence of certain elements. Functional group tests involve using specific reagents to test for the presence of functional groups in the compound.

5. How does the structure of an organic compound affect its boiling point?

The structure of an organic compound can affect its boiling point in a few ways. One key factor is the strength of intermolecular forces, such as hydrogen bonding, which can increase the boiling point. Additionally, the branching and size of the molecule can affect the surface area and therefore the strength of intermolecular forces, leading to a higher or lower boiling point.