Basic Physics Help - Calculating Time with Force

In summary, the conversation revolved around a student struggling with a PH100 class and a problem related to a new type of gun being tested for launching objects into orbit. The student mentioned being confused about finding time using Newton's laws and asked for help. The solution suggested using the formula v=at to find the time, given the final velocity and the acceleration. The conversation ended with a suggestion to post the question on a homework help forum.
Powerworks
Hey guys I need some help, I am struggling in a PH100 class and my professor is not that much help.

This problem puzzles me and I have been working on it all night.

"Scientists are experimenting with a kind of gun that may eventually be used to fire payloads directly into orbit. In one test, this gun accelerates a 5.0 kg projectile from rest to a speed of 4.7 103 m/s. The net force accelerating the projectile is 5.9 105 N. How much time is required for the projectile to come up to speed? "

We are currently studying force, but I am lost how to find time using Newton's laws?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's how you find the time:

1. Look at your watch.
2. Fire the gun
3. Look at your watch again.

P.S. shouldn't this question be posted in the homework help forums?

P.P.S. Figure out the acceleration 'a'. Then use v=at to get the time t, since you know the final velocity v.

Hello, sorry to hear that you are struggling in your PH100 class. Calculating time with force can be a bit tricky, but let me try to explain it to you. In this problem, we have a projectile that is being accelerated from rest to a certain speed by a net force of 5.9 x 10^5 N. To find the time it takes for the projectile to reach this speed, we can use the formula t = v/a, where t is time, v is velocity, and a is acceleration. In this case, we know the velocity (4.7 x 10^3 m/s) and the acceleration (5.9 x 10^5 N), so we can plug those values into the formula and solve for time. Remember to use the correct units in your calculation (m/s for velocity and N for acceleration). I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

1. How is time calculated using force in basic physics?

Time is calculated using force in basic physics through the formula t = F/m, where t represents time, F represents force, and m represents mass. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. What is the relationship between force and time in basic physics?

The relationship between force and time in basic physics is that the greater the force applied to an object, the shorter the time it takes for that object to accelerate or decelerate. This is because force is directly proportional to acceleration, and time is inversely proportional to acceleration.

3. How do I calculate time when given force and mass in basic physics?

To calculate time when given force and mass in basic physics, you can use the formula t = F/m, where t represents time, F represents force, and m represents mass. Simply plug in the given values for force and mass and solve for time.

4. Can time be calculated using other variables besides force and mass in basic physics?

Yes, time can also be calculated using other variables besides force and mass in basic physics. For example, if you know the distance an object has traveled and its initial velocity, you can use the formula t = d/vi to calculate time. This formula is derived from the kinematic equation d = vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2, where d represents distance, vi represents initial velocity, a represents acceleration, and t represents time.

5. How does the direction of force affect the calculation of time in basic physics?

In basic physics, the direction of force does not affect the calculation of time. Time is solely dependent on the magnitude of force and the mass of the object, not its direction. However, the direction of force can affect the object's velocity and acceleration, which in turn can affect the object's time of travel.