1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Physics Problem

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    A certain light truck can go around a flat curve having a radius of 150 m with a maximum speed of 35.5 m/s. With what maximum speed can it go around a curve having a radius of 79.5 m?

Answer is 25.8.

I was trying to use the relationship of V=RW but I can't seem to figure out this simple problem.

Is this a centripetal acceleration problem?

What method is best to solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2
    Well, the limiting factor is the force on the truck, right? So if you work out the force (or equivalently, the acceleration since mass is the same in both cases) on the truck in the first scenario, you can use the same value of max centripetal force/acceleration for the new curve.

4. Oct 29, 2011 #3
    so I can figure out the acceleration and linear distance of the radius to figure out how fast it can go using kinematic equations eh?

5. Oct 29, 2011 #4
    Just use the equation for acceleration in a circle, [itex]a=v^2/r[/itex] to determine the acceleration in the first case. Then use your result with the second value of 'r' in order to determine your new velocity.

6. Oct 29, 2011 #5
    it seems I dont have enough information to use the kinemativ equations.

7. Oct 29, 2011 #6
    You only need the one equation I gave in my post above! :smile:

8. Oct 29, 2011 #7
    nice, a=v^2/r for circle acceleration..that is a very useful equation.

9. Oct 29, 2011 #8
    yea sorry about that, if you look at the time we posted at the same time so I didnt see your great equation at posting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook