1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Physics question (2-d momentum)

1. Apr 21, 2005 #1
    I can NOT figure this question out, it's the only one I havent gotten, can someone help?

The drawing shows a collision between two pucks on an air-hockey table. Puck A has a mass of 0.020 kg and is moving along the x axis with a velocity of +5.5 m/s. It makes a collision with puck B, which has a mass of 0.040 kg and is initially at rest. The collision is not head-on. After the collision, the two pucks fly apart with the angles shown in the drawing.

(a) Find the final speed of puck A.
    ______ m/s
    (b) Find the final speed of puck B.
    ______ m/s
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2005 #2
    Hi atlbraves,

usually you must propose a solution or give some hints ........but today I'll make an exception for you:

You must write the the conservation law for angular momentum:

Then you have to write the above vectorial equation on Ox (the direction of the initial velocity of A) and Oy (perpendicular on it):

Ox: [tex]p_{A0}=p_A \cdot cos(\alpha_A)+p_B \cdot cos(\alpha_B)[/tex]
    Oy: [tex]p_A \cdot sin(\alpha_A)-p_B \cdot sin(\alpha_B)=0[/tex]
  4. Apr 21, 2005 #3
    thanks, i figured it out, i actually ended up knowing how to do it, the reason i wasnt getting the answer correct is i messed up a calculation, thanks for the help anyways
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?