Basic physics question about average velocity

In summary: They asked for the average speed, which is the total distance divided by the elapsed time. In this case, the car traveled 100 km in 2 hours, so the average speed is 50 km/hr.
huma

Homework Statement

a car starts from hither , goes 50km in a straight line to yon , immediately turns around, and turns to hither . the time for this round trip is 2 hours . the average speed of the car for this round trip is ?

Homework Equations

average velocity = disrance covered /time

The Attempt at a Solution

as the body comes back to its initial position so average velocity is zero ... but answer key shows the right answer is 50 km/hr ....I can't understand ... what you think what is correct answer

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
huma said:

Homework Statement

a car starts from hither , goes 50km in a straight line to yon , immediately turns around, and turns to hither . the time for this round trip is 2 hours . the average speed of the car for this round trip is ?

Homework Equations

average velocity = disrance covered /time

The Attempt at a Solution

as the body comes back to its initial position so average velocity is zero ... but answer key shows the right answer is 50 km/hr ....I can't understand ... what you think what is correct answer
It sounds like they are asking for average speed, not average velocity. Your equation you list is for average speed, not average velocity.

And 50km/hr looks to be a wrong answer, since the time elapsed is 2 hours. Are you sure you have written the problem and answer correctly?

EDIT -- I misread the problem, and now see why they got 50km/hr.

Last edited:
ohhhh yesh its my mistake I write wrong equation ...average speed = total speed /time ... what you think now my answer is correct or wrong ?

The car travels 100 km in 2 hr, so its average speed is 50 km/hr. But, as berkeman points out, the question asks for the average speed, not the average velocity.

huma said:
ohhhh yesh its my mistake I write wrong equation ...average speed = total speed /time ... what you think now my answer is correct or wrong ?
This equation -- average speed = total speed /time -- is meaningless (and wrong). There is no such thing as "total speed".
The corrected equation is speed = (total distance)/(elapsed time).
For velocitiy, it is velocity = (total displacement)/(elapsed time).
In your calculation, since the car started from and returned to the same point, the total displacement is 0, so the velocity is 0. That's not what they asked for, though.

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is the measure of the displacement of an object over a given time period. It is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time.

2. How is average velocity different from average speed?

While average velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, average speed only considers the magnitude of an object's motion. This means that average velocity can be a negative value if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction.

3. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction. This indicates that the object's displacement is in the negative direction.

4. How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. The formula for average velocity is: average velocity = (final position - initial position) / (final time - initial time).

5. What units are used to measure average velocity?

Average velocity is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). The specific unit used depends on the unit used for displacement and time, which can vary depending on the context of the problem.