1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Physics Question

1. Nov 1, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone! This is my first post so I thought it appropriate to start with a basic question and not give u guys a hard time :) ehehe

So imagine u have 1 box resting on a larger box. A force is applied to this larger box and the smaller box moves with the larger box without slipage.

My question is, if I were to draw up the FBD, what forces are being applied on the small box apart from Fn and Fg?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2006 #2
    Well isn't that it?? Apart from a rediculously small amount of drag, which force do you suppose is keeping the small box from sliding off the larger one? that's your hint..
  4. Nov 1, 2006 #3
    Well, I am thinking apart from Fn + Fg there is a friction force keeping that small box stationary on top of the larger box. If that is the case there must be a balancing force because technically the small box is relatively stationary. So this means that we also have the applied force Fa on the small box too?

This results in 4 forces: Fn, Fg, Fa, Ff

Am I on the right track?

5. Nov 1, 2006 #4
    You are right to think that there is an equal/opposite of the static friction on the small box, but that force acts on the big box.
    So, a revised list would be:
    Fn,Fg,Fs where Fs=force of static friction
  6. Nov 1, 2006 #5
    Makes sense... thanks a bunch :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?