How Does a Conducting Bar on Rails Behave in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the speed of a conducting bar on conducting rails with a resistor at one end and a uniform magnetic field perpendicular to the plane. The goal is to solve for the speed at a specific time using a differential equation and relevant equations for force, current, and flux. The correct expression for dv/dt is still being determined.
krh68
A conducting bar of length L = 21.2 cm and mass M = 60.0 g lies across a pair of conducting rails. The contact friction between the bar and the rails is negligible, but there is a resistor at one end with a value R = 30.0 Ohms. Initially the rod is given an initial speed of v0 = 64.0 meters per second. There is a uniform magnetic field perpendicular to the plane containing the rod and rails of magnitude B = 1.3 T.
What is the speed of the rod at time t = 26.068 s?

I know:
v=v0 + at
F=ma
F=iLB
i=(emf)/R
emf = dflux/dt
flux = BA

I know I need to solve for the area to get the flux and the length (L) is constant while the width is changing but I don't understand how to get the integral or set up the integral for the width. Please help ASAP.

Physics news on Phys.org
v = v0+at is out of the picture. This is not a constant acceleration situation. All your other equations are relevant.
You need to set up a differential equation and solve it. Start with

F = m (dv/dt)

Replace F with iLB and then replace i with (1/R)(dΦ/dt). The expression for dΦ/dt is proportional to v. So you end up with the differential equation that is essentially

dv/dt = (const)v

You should be able to find what "const" is and to integrate the above equation.

Okay, so dv/dt = v(const) or dv/dt = v(LB/mR)
I still don't know how to solve for v.
When I integrate dv/dt, do I get r(LB/mR)? and if so, what is r?

krh68 said:
Okay, so dv/dt = v(const) or dv/dt = v(LB/mR)
This is incorrect. Please show how you got it, then I can point out where you went wrong.
I still don't know how to solve for v.
Worry about that later. First get the correct expression for dv/dt.
When I integrate dv/dt, do I get r(LB/mR)?
No, you do not.
and if so, what is r?
I don't know, but r it appears in your expression above. You made it up so you should know what it represents.

Based on the given information, the speed of the rod at time t = 26.068 s can be determined by using the equations for motion and electromotive force (emf). First, we can use the equation v=v0 + at to calculate the acceleration of the rod. Since the initial speed (v0) and time (t) are given, we can solve for the acceleration (a).

v=v0 + at
a=(v-v0)/t
a=(0-64.0 m/s)/(26.068 s)
a=-2.4575 m/s^2

Next, we can use the equation F=ma to calculate the force acting on the rod. Since the mass (M) is given, we can solve for the force (F).

F=ma
F=(60.0 g)(-2.4575 m/s^2)
F=-0.14745 N

Then, we can use the equation F=iLB to calculate the current (i) in the circuit. Since the force (F) and length (L) are known, we can solve for the current.

F=iLB
i=F/(LB)
i=(-0.14745 N)/(1.3 T)(0.212 m)
i=-0.546 A

Next, we can use the equation i=(emf)/R to calculate the emf. Since the current (i) and resistance (R) are known, we can solve for the emf.

i=(emf)/R
emf=iR
emf=(-0.546 A)(30.0 Ohms)
emf=-16.38 V

Finally, we can use the equation emf = dflux/dt to calculate the change in flux over time. Since the emf (16.38 V) and time (26.068 s) are known, we can solve for the change in flux (dflux).

emf = dflux/dt
dflux = emf*dt
dflux = (16.38 V)(26.068 s)
dflux = 426.24624 V*s

Since the flux (flux) is equal to the product of the magnetic field (B) and the area (A), we can solve for the area (A).

flux = BA
A = flux/B
A = (426.24624 V*s)/(

1. What is the purpose of a sliding bar on rails in basic physics?

The purpose of a sliding bar on rails is to demonstrate the principles of friction, motion, and energy conservation in a controlled environment. It allows for the study of how different forces and angles affect the motion of an object on a surface with varying levels of friction.

2. How does the sliding bar on rails work?

The sliding bar on rails works by applying a force to the object on the bar, causing it to slide along the rails. The rails provide a smooth surface with minimal friction, allowing for the object to slide with minimal resistance. The angle and amount of force applied can be adjusted to observe the effects on the object's motion.

3. What factors affect the motion of the object on the sliding bar?

The factors that affect the motion of the object on the sliding bar include the angle of the rails, the amount of force applied to the object, the mass of the object, and the level of friction between the object and the rails. Other factors such as air resistance and the shape of the object may also play a role.

4. How does the sliding bar on rails demonstrate the concept of energy conservation?

The sliding bar on rails demonstrates the concept of energy conservation by showing how the initial potential energy of the object is converted into kinetic energy as it slides down the rails. This energy is then conserved as the object continues to move along the rails, with small amounts being lost to friction. The total energy of the system remains constant throughout the motion.

5. What real-life applications can be illustrated using a sliding bar on rails?

A sliding bar on rails can be used to illustrate real-life applications such as the motion of a rollercoaster, the trajectory of a projectile, or the movement of a car on a curved road. It can also be used to study the effects of different surfaces and levels of friction, which can be applied to scenarios such as braking on a wet road or sliding on ice.