1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Physics Sliding Bar on Rails

1. Jul 22, 2010 #1
    A conducting bar of length L = 21.2 cm and mass M = 60.0 g lies across a pair of conducting rails. The contact friction between the bar and the rails is negligible, but there is a resistor at one end with a value R = 30.0 Ohms. Initially the rod is given an initial speed of v0 = 64.0 meters per second. There is a uniform magnetic field perpendicular to the plane containing the rod and rails of magnitude B = 1.3 T.
    What is the speed of the rod at time t = 26.068 s?

I know:
    v=v0 + at
    F=ma
    F=iLB
    i=(emf)/R
    emf = dflux/dt
    flux = BA

I know I need to solve for the area to get the flux and the length (L) is constant while the width is changing but I don't understand how to get the integral or set up the integral for the width. Please help ASAP.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

v = v0+at is out of the picture. This is not a constant acceleration situation. All your other equations are relevant.
    You need to set up a differential equation and solve it. Start with

F = m (dv/dt)

Replace F with iLB and then replace i with (1/R)(dΦ/dt). The expression for dΦ/dt is proportional to v. So you end up with the differential equation that is essentially

dv/dt = (const)v

You should be able to find what "const" is and to integrate the above equation.

4. Jul 22, 2010 #3
    Okay, so dv/dt = v(const) or dv/dt = v(LB/mR)
    I still don't know how to solve for v.
    When I integrate dv/dt, do I get r(LB/mR)? and if so, what is r?

5. Jul 22, 2010 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is incorrect. Please show how you got it, then I can point out where you went wrong.
    Worry about that later. First get the correct expression for dv/dt.
    No, you do not.
    I don't know, but r it appears in your expression above. You made it up so you should know what it represents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook