How Fast Must a Volcanic Bomb Travel to Reach a Certain Point?

In summary, During volcanic eruptions, chunks of solid rock can be blasted out of the volcano; these projectiles are called volcanic bombs. To reach the foot of the volcano at B, the bomb would need to be ejected at an initial speed of approximately 455 m/s at an angle of 35 degrees from the horizontal. The time of flight would be approximately 23 seconds. The effect of air would decrease the earlier answer.
kara
During volcanic eruptions, chunks of solid rock can be blasted out of the volcano; these projectiles are called volcanic bombs. At what initial speed would a bomb have to be ejected, at angle 35* to the horizontal, from the vent at A in order to fall at the foot of the volcano at B, at vertical distance h=3.30km and horizontal distance d=9.40km? Ignore, for the moment, the effects of air on the bomb's travel. What would be the time of flight? Would the effect of the air increase or decrease your earier answer?

Any suggestions for this question??

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, how are you setting up the problem? What equations do you think will be useful?

The only hint I can think to give without knowing how you are attacking the problem is this: these 2-d problems are often easier tackled if you think of them as two separate (but intimately related!) problems.

Break the initial velocity (even though it is unkown) into components. Now you have two problems: the first is this: how long to reach its peak and then fall to 3.30km above where it started? Knowing that you can solve the rest.

I have the same homework problem... amazing how textbooks haven't changed a problem in a few years LOL.

I decided on using the equation y = x*tan(th)-g*x^2/(2*(v0*cos(th))^2)

Solving for v0, I got: v0 = (x/cos(th))*sqrt(g/(2*(x*tan(th)-y)))

Unfortunately the answer I got is completely different from the correct answer... well at least what the TA said was the correct answer. I'm getting something in the 400's m/2 ... without completely spoiling the answer for everyone he got something in the 200's.

For time I figure I'd solve, deltax = v0*cos(th)*t, for t... I just need to figure out how to get v0.

Thanks for any advice

(The radian equivalent of 35 degrees is 0.610865, yes?)

Last edited:
Wow I figured it out... one of my usual mistakes. I used positive 3300 in my equations... not negative 3300

1. What is a volcano?

A volcano is a geological landform where molten rock, ash, and gases from the Earth's interior are expelled onto the surface through a vent or opening. It is formed when hot magma rises from the mantle and reaches the Earth's surface.

2. How are volcanoes formed?

Volcanoes are formed through the process of plate tectonics. When two tectonic plates collide or separate, it creates weak spots or fractures in the Earth's crust. Magma from the mantle can then rise through these weak spots and form a volcano.

3. What are the types of volcanoes?

There are three main types of volcanoes: shield, cinder cone, and stratovolcano. Shield volcanoes have gentle slopes and are formed by runny lava, while cinder cone volcanoes have steep slopes and are formed by explosive eruptions. Stratovolcanoes are a combination of both and have alternating layers of lava and ash.

4. How do volcanoes erupt?

Volcanoes erupt when the pressure from the magma chamber becomes too great and forces the magma to the surface. This can happen in explosive eruptions, where the magma is thick and cannot escape easily, or in effusive eruptions, where the magma is runny and flows out of the vent.

5. Can volcanoes be predicted?

Yes, volcanoes can be predicted to some extent. Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques, such as seismometers, gas emissions monitoring, and ground deformation measurements, to monitor changes in a volcano's activity. However, predicting the exact timing and size of an eruption is still a challenge and often requires continuous monitoring and analysis.