What could be causing the discrepancy in the angle calculation?

• Thread starter kenewbie
  • Start date
Heh, thanks for opening my eyes. No reason why that shouldn't work. Show your work and we will try to check it.Ok, I'll write it up after dinner. Thanks a bunch!In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding a parametric representation of a given plane using two variables. The speaker is struggling with the discrepancies between their solutions and the solutions in their textbook, but it is determined that the equations are in fact correct and the differences are due to different parameterizations. The conversation also touches on finding the angle between two planes using their normals.
kenewbie

Homework Statement

This should be simple, but I can't figure out what I did wrong.

A(1,2,1)
B(1,1,3)
C(-1,1,-1)
D(1,-2,1)

a) Give a "parametric representation" of the plane a which goes through the points A, B and C.
b) Give a "parametric representation" of the plane b which goes through the points B, C and D.
c) Give a representation of the line which describe the intersection between the planes a and b.
d) Calculate the angle between planes a and b.

I'm not sure if the term "parametric representation" looses meaning in translation, but the idea is to give a formula using 2 variables so that all values give describe a point on the plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

Vector AB = [ 0, -1, 2 ]
Vector AC = [ -2, -1, -2 ]

Using point A with vectors AB and AC I get the following representation of the plane:

x = 1 - 2t
y = 2 - s - t
z = 1 + 2s - 2t

But my book says the plane is supposed to be

x = 1 + 2t
y = 2 - s + t
z = 1 + 2s + 2t

This seems to be using vectors AB and CA along with the point A. Why would they use CA? Do I describe the same plane as the book?

b)

Using the point B and vectors BC and BD, i get:

x = 1 - 2s
y = 1 - 3t
z = 3 - 4s -2t

which again is different from the answer in my book, which is

x = 1 + s
y = 1 + 3t
z = 3 + 2s + 2t

c)

I would try to set the x-value of plane a equal to the x-value plane b and so forth, and see what values of t and s that solves for, but since my plane-representations are wrong I get bogus values.

d)

using AB x AC as the normal for plane a and BC x BD as the normal for plane b I get an angle of 43.5 between the planes. My book says 58.4

All help appreciated.

k

Physics news on Phys.org
kenewbie said:

Homework Statement

This should be simple, but I can't figure out what I did wrong.

A(1,2,1)
B(1,1,3)
C(-1,1,-1)
D(1,-2,1)

a) Give a "parametric representation" of the plane a which goes through the points A, B and C.
b) Give a "parametric representation" of the plane b which goes through the points B, C and D.
c) Give a representation of the line which describe the intersection between the planes a and b.
d) Calculate the angle between planes a and b.

I'm not sure if the term "parametric representation" looses meaning in translation, but the idea is to give a formula using 2 variables so that all values give describe a point on the plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

Vector AB = [ 0, -1, 2 ]
Vector AC = [ -2, -1, -2 ]

Using point A with vectors AB and AC I get the following representation of the plane:

x = 1 - 2t
y = 2 - s - t
z = 1 + 2s - 2t

But my book says the plane is supposed to be

x = 1 + 2t
y = 2 - s + t
z = 1 + 2s + 2t

This seems to be using vectors AB and CA along with the point A. Why would they use CA? Do I describe the same plane as the book?
Yes, of course. The fact that the three given points satisfy both sets of equations tells you they are the same plane. They are just using a different parameter. Their "t" is the negative of yours. And there is no reason not to use CA rather than AC. Both are vectors in the plane and that is all that is required.

b)

Using the point B and vectors BC and BD, i get:

x = 1 - 2s
y = 1 - 3t
z = 3 - 4s -2t

which again is different from the answer in my book, which is

x = 1 + s
y = 1 + 3t
z = 3 + 2s + 2t
Again, just a different paremeterization. Here, their "s" is -2 times yours and their "t" is the negative of yours.

c)

I would try to set the x-value of plane a equal to the x-value plane b and so forth, and see what values of t and s that solves for, but since my plane-representations are wrong I get bogus values.
No, your equations are NOT wrong. One thing you have to be careful to do is to recognize the the "s" and "t" in each of your sets of equations may represent different things- don't use the same name when solving them together.

You have
x = 1 - 2t
y = 2 - s - t
z = 1 + 2s - 2t
and
x = 1 - 2a
y = 1 - 3b
z = 3 - 4a -2b

where, for the second equation, I have replaced "s" and "t" by "a'" and "b'" to distinguish them.

d)

using AB x AC as the normal for plane a and BC x BD as the normal for plane b I get an angle of 43.5 between the planes. My book says 58.4
No reason why that shouldn't work. Show your work and we will try to check it.

All help appreciated.

k

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, of course. The fact that the three given points satisfy both sets of equations tells you they are the same plane. They are just using a different parameter. Their "t" is the negative of yours. And there is no reason not to use CA rather than AC. Both are vectors in the plane and that is all that is required.

Ok, good. I started thinking there might be some "right-handed system" issue here that I didn't understand.

HallsofIvy said:
No, your equations are NOT wrong. One thing you have to be careful to do is to recognize the the "s" and "t" in each of your sets of equations may represent different things- don't use the same name when solving them together.

Aaah, see, I used "t" and "s" for both of them, that is why I got nonsense then. What you are saying makes sense. Since both parameterizations use different points on the plain and different vectors, they will point to different parts of the plane given the same values as paramters! Thanks.

As for the angle, this is my work (slightly abbreviated)

AB x AC = [0, -1, 2] x [-2, -1, -2] = [4, -4, -2]
BC x BD = [-2, 0, -4] x [0, -3, -2] = [12, -8, 6]

(AB x AC) * (BC x BD) = [4, -4, -2] * [12, -8, 6] = 68

|AB x AC| = 6
|BC x BD| = sqrt(244)

so, the angle = inv cos( 68 / ( 6 sqrt(244) ) ) = 43.5

My book says 58.4

k

What is plane geometry?

Plane geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of figures and shapes on a flat surface, without considering depth or volume.

What are the basic elements of plane geometry?

The basic elements of plane geometry are points, lines, and angles. Points are represented by a dot and have no size or shape. Lines are made up of an infinite number of points and have no width or thickness. Angles are formed when two lines intersect and are measured in degrees.

What are the different types of angles in plane geometry?

There are four types of angles in plane geometry: acute angles (less than 90 degrees), right angles (exactly 90 degrees), obtuse angles (greater than 90 degrees but less than 180 degrees), and straight angles (exactly 180 degrees).

What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used in plane geometry?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This theorem is used to find missing side lengths in right triangles and to prove relationships between the sides and angles of triangles.

How is plane geometry used in real life?

Plane geometry is used in a variety of real-life situations, such as in architecture, engineering, and design. It is also used in navigation, map-making, and in the construction of everyday objects like furniture and buildings. Understanding plane geometry can also help with spatial reasoning and problem-solving skills.