What is the Probability of Selecting Two Olive Socks from a Drawer?

• Thread starter rwinston
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation is about a problem in a probability book where there are 8 olive, 4 black, and 6 brown socks in a drawer. The question is to find the probability of selecting 2 socks of the same color and the probability of selecting 2 olive socks if the pairs are the same color. After some discussion, the solution for the second part is found to be 4/7 by using conditional probability and considering the new sample space of only matching pairs.
rwinston
Hi guys

This one is kind of embarrassing, but its driving me crazy! I am working through some examples in a prob. book, to try and refresh my rusty stats and prob knowledge. There is a question that goes: "There are 8 olive, 4 black, and six brown socks in a drawer. Two are selected at random. What is (a) the probability that the two socks are the same color? (b) If they are the same color, what is the prob. that they are both olive?"

I can figure out part (a), which is:

[itex]
\frac{\dbinom{4}{2}+\dbinom{8}{2}+\dbinom{6}{2}}{\dbinom{18}{2}}
[/itex]

But I can't figure out P(olive|same color). Can anyone help?

Thanks
Rory

Oh BTW, this isn't a homework question - I can see the answer from the back of the book is 4/7 - I am just curious to see how the author got it! Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How many pairs of socks of the same colour are there? (Hint: you've alread worked that out) How many pairs of olive socks are there? (Hint: you've already worked that out as well).You can read off the answer from what you wrote above.

Hi Matt

thanks for the reply. I think I am being dense here, but I still can't see the solution - there are (8/2) + (4/2) + (6/2) = 9 unique pairs, and 4 of those pairs are olive. So I would have thought it would be more like (4/9)?

Rory

9 pairs? By your logic, if I have 3 socks, then there are 1.5 pairs of socks. There aren't there are 3. 3 choose 2. Not 3/2. If they're labelled a,b,c then the pairs are (a,b) (a,c) and (b,c). You used the binomial coefficients in the first post, so why have you stopped using them now?

You can use conditional probability: P(B|A)={P(A) intersection P(B)}/P(A).

The probability of B given A is equal to the probability of A intersection B divided by the probability of A.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help - it dawned on me eventually :smile:

[itex]
\frac{\dbinom{8}{2}}{\dbinom{4}{2}+\dbinom{8}{2}+\dbinom{6}{2}}
[/itex]

What has happened is that the original sample space was 18x17/2 = 153 (pairs). The new sample space is only those cases where the pairs match, which is 49 pairs. Then we want to find the cases where the pairs are olive, which is 28 pairs, giving us the correct figure of 4/7. Completely logical problem.

Last edited:

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood or chance that a certain event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical definition of probability.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual observations and can vary from the theoretical probability due to random chance.

4. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that do not affect or influence each other's probability. For example, flipping a coin and rolling a dice are independent events. Dependent events, on the other hand, are events that are affected by the outcome of another event. An example of dependent events is drawing cards from a deck without replacement.

5. How can probability be used in real life?

Probability can be used to make predictions and informed decisions in various fields such as finance, insurance, and sports. It can also be used to analyze data and make conclusions about the likelihood of certain events occurring.