1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic probability question

1. Jul 5, 2008 #1
    I was playing Scrabble with a few friends last night and, as none of us have quite yet learned the ways of prob & stats, we were debating how to calculate the probability of this scenario: I had just formed a word and had to pull three letters out of a bag containing seven letters. One of the letters was surely a Z. What was my probability of pulling out that Z (which, by the way, I did)?

As I've never covered any prob & stats in years (and even then it was covered in just one class day), I wasn't sure how to even begin this. Thanks in advance for helping solve this crucial problem!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since there was exactly one z in the bag, the probability is simply 3/7.

4. Jul 5, 2008 #3

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If exactly one tile in the bag (out of 7) was a Z, then 3/7.

But if there were, say, 21 tiles you hadn't seen (2 other players), and you only knew that one of those was a Z, then it would be 3/21 = 1/7. Similarly with other numbers of tiles.

If you had more than one Z, it would get slightly more complicated.

5. Jul 5, 2008 #4
    Wow, that's a lot easier than we thought it would be. Originally I thought maybe 3/7, but my friends stated that perhaps it would alter it because technically if you take out one at a time it would be 1/7, then 1/6, then 1/5, but they didn't know what to do with those. Definitely overcomplicated it! Thank you very much :)

6. Jul 6, 2008 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since you wanted to break it down, let's do it.

You can produce it on the first go: 1/7 chance, and then afterwards doesn't matter what you draw.

You can get it on the second: to do this you need to draw any of the other 6 first,a 6/7 chance, then draw the z which is now 1/6, so the probability is (6/7)*(1/6)=1/7.

You get it with the third tile: 6/7 * 5/6 *1/5 = 1/7.

Add 'em all up and you get 3/7.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?