What are Factorials, Permutations, and Combinations?

In summary, the conversation involves evaluating factorials, permutations, and combinations in a series of questions. The speaker is unsure about one particular question that looks like 25C5 in a list of 10 questions. The other speaker clarifies that it is indeed a combination and explains that it is solved by 25C5. The initial confusion was due to the question being presented as a list.

Homework Statement

I am asked "evaluate the following factorials, permutations, and combinations". I am given a series of questions I understand, like P(10,3), 9!, etc. But then I have a series like this:

9a3b4bfb4a4f.jpg

Homework Equations

9a3b4bfb4a4f.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure what this is, is it a combination, perhaps because there hasn't been any yet, and this is solved by 25C5?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by a series, but usually , yes, it is 25C5.

Bacle2 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by a series, but usually , yes, it is 25C5.

Sorry, I ment a list, as in I have 10 questions, with a few looking like the one on the photo, a few looking like 9!, and a few looking like p(10,3). =)

Oh, O.K, makes sense, maybe I was kind of thick.

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

How is probability calculated?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data collected from conducting experiments or observing real-life events.

What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events whose outcomes do not affect each other. Dependent events are events whose outcomes are affected by the occurrence of previous events.

How does probability relate to statistics?

Probability is a fundamental concept in statistics, as it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions based on data. Probability is used in statistical analyses to determine the likelihood of certain outcomes and to quantify the uncertainty in data.