Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic probability question

1. Sep 19, 2013 #1
    Hi, I have a quick question

5% of students on a school bus are not enrolled in sports. If there are 500 students on a bus. What is the expected numbers of students who are not enrolled in sports on any given bus?

So, 5%(500)=25??

is this correct? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's one hell of a big bus ! Yes, the math looks correct.

4. Sep 19, 2013 #3
    hehehe yes I suppose it is quite a large bus!

would the solution change at all if it were worded as "5% of students all students are not enrolled in sports"...?

thanks

5. Sep 20, 2013 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand that wording at all so have no idea what it means.

6. Sep 20, 2013 #5
    sorry, 5% of all students are not enrolled in sports. If there are 500 students on a bus. What is the expected numbers of students who are not enrolled in sports on any given bus?

7. Sep 20, 2013 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why would you expect this to give a different answer than your original wording? If you were asking about students NOT on the bus, the answers might be different, but this looks the same.

8. Sep 21, 2013 #7

statdad

Homework Helper

The difference between your first and second statement of the problem is conceptual only: the answer in each case is 25.
    In the first case nothing is random: you are told the number of students on a bus, and told that 5% of them do not play sports. In this case you know that 500 times 5%, or 25, of the students are not in sports.

If I understand your second version, you are told that 5% of all students at the school do not play sports, and then are asking how many of the 500 on the bus you can expect not to be in sports. If you make the assumption that the students on the bus are a representative sample of all students in the school, then the number on the bus who are not in sports is binomial, with n = 500 and p = .05, so the expected number is again 25.

The difference is in interpretation: in the first posing we KNOW the number is 25, the second is the number in an expected value.

9. Sep 21, 2013 #8
    thanks for the clarification, I understand it now

10. Sep 24, 2013 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But as I drive to work to day, I will keep an eye out for that 500 passenger bus!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook