Solving Basic Probability Homework: Can't Understand Solution

• Thread starter Clara Chung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: The wording of (b) asks about a lot; that means: (i) we receive a lot; (ii) we draw two items from that lot; (iii) we accept the lot if both tested items are OK. So:$$P(\text{accept}) = P(A)\, P(\text{accept}|A) + P(B)\, P(\text{accept}|B).$$The probability of accepting one box when only one is received is:$$P(\text{accept}|A) = P(\text{accept}|A|1) = 0.04.$$The probability of accepting a lot when only one is received is:
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

Untitled.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't understand the solution.
Shouldn't the probability be
0.99^2 x (0.96^2 + 0.96(0.04) + 0.04^2) + (0.01 (0.99) +0.01^2) x (0.96^2).
Please someone explain the solution to me

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

So what are the relevant equations for (a) and (b) ?
Clara Chung said:
can't understand the solution
Which one? There are two solutions !

BvU said:
Hi,

So what are the relevant equations for (a) and (b) ?
Which one? There are two solutions !

I don't understand part a. I have no idea.
I think the relevant equations for (a) and (b) are simply basic probability rules like P(A) X P(B) = P(A and B)
thanks

Clara Chung said:
I can't understand the solution.
Shouldn't the probability be
0.99^2 x (0.96^2 + 0.96(0.04) + 0.04^2) + (0.01 (0.99) +0.01^2) x (0.96^2).
Please someone explain the solution to me

You didn't explain your own solution. I can't tell what you are thinking.

The text is computing:
Pr( lot accepted) =
Pr(lot is from B)Pr( two working fuses are selected| lot is from B) + P(lot is from A) Pr( two working fuses are selected from lot | lot is from A).

The wording of the problem does not tell us that each bath of fuses from manufacturer A contains exactly 4 defective fuses. So we must treat the probability that a "randomly selected fuse" from manufacturer A is defective as .04. By contrast if we knew that each batch of fuses from A contained exactly 4 defective fuses, we would be faced with a situation of "random sampling without replacement".

The wording of the problem says that a given "lot" of fuses consists of fuses from only one manufacturer, not fuses from both manufacturers. The numbers you used in your solution seem to come from considering fuses taken from both manufacturers during one test for acceptance.

Likes Clara Chung
So what are P(A) and P(B) ? How do you think this testing takes place ? And how do you explain your 0.99^2 x (0.96^2 + 0.96(0.04) + 0.04^2) + (0.01 (0.99) +0.01^2) x (0.96^2) with this relevant equation ?

BvU said:
So what are P(A) and P(B) ? How do you think this testing takes place ? And how do you explain your 0.99^2 x (0.96^2 + 0.96(0.04) + 0.04^2) + (0.01 (0.99) +0.01^2) x (0.96^2) with this relevant equation ?

I interpret the question as taking 2 fuses from each of the box. When the 2 fuses from one box are not defective, the company accept one box. So I thought question a is asking the probability of accepting one box only (not both box accepted nor both not accepted). Now I understand the question is asking the probability of the company accepting one lot when only one box is examined. Thank you so much for both answers!

Clara Chung said:
I interpret the question as taking 2 fuses from each of the box. When the 2 fuses from one box are not defective, the company accept one box. So I thought question a is asking the probability of accepting one box only (not both box accepted nor both not accepted). Now I understand the question is asking the probability of the company accepting one lot when only one box is examined. Thank you so much for both answers!

The wording of (a) asks about a box; that means: (i) we receive a box; (ii) we draw two items from that box; (iii) we accept the box if both tested items are OK. So:
$$P(\text{accept}) = P(A)\, P(\text{accept}|A) + P(B)\, P(\text{accept}|B).$$

What is probability and why is it important in science?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. In science, probability is important because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions based on data and observations.

How do I solve basic probability problems?

To solve basic probability problems, you must understand the basic principles of probability, such as the probability formula and the rules for calculating probabilities. You should also be familiar with different types of probability, such as independent and dependent events.

Why am I having trouble understanding the solution to my probability homework?

Understanding probability can be challenging, especially if you are new to the topic. It is important to review and practice the basic principles and concepts, and to seek help from your teacher or peers if you are struggling.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving probability problems?

Some common mistakes when solving probability problems include not properly identifying the type of probability, not using the correct formula, and not considering all possible outcomes. It is important to double check your work and make sure you are applying the correct principles.

How can I improve my understanding of probability?

To improve your understanding of probability, practice solving different types of problems, review the basic principles, and seek help and clarification when needed. You can also try using real-world examples to better understand how probability works in different scenarios.