1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Projectile Motion Problem

1. Aug 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A physics student on PLanet Exidor throws a ball, and it follows hte parabolic trajectgory shown in the figure. The ball's position is shown at 1.00 intervals until t=3.00. At t=1.00, the ball's velocity is v=(2.00i + 2.00j)[m/s].

[​IMG]

a. Determine the ball's velocity at t=0, 2.00, and 3.00.
    b. What is the value of g on the Planet Exidor?
    c. What was the ball's launch angle?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]
    v = v_0 + a t
    [tex]

[tex]
    x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
    [tex]
    [tex]
    v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x
    [tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to find at 1.00 that the ball's acceleration in the x direction = 2.00[m/s^2]. I'm not really sure how to find the velocity at t=0 since I think it can't be zero. I'm pretty if I can figure out the max height I can figure out what g is. But I can't find max height.

Thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With all projectile motion problems you need to consider both components of motion. There should be no acceleration in the x direction. At the top of the parabola what do you expect the y component of velocity to be? This will help you with what you know about t = 1 to set up some simultaneous equations and solve the problem.

4. Aug 31, 2008 #3
    It will really help to rewrite

[tex]
    v = v_0 + at = v_0 - gt
    [/tex]

where i've defined g downwards as positive as two equations then...

[tex]
    v_x = ... \quad \& \quad v_y = v_y(t)=...
    [/tex]

5. Aug 31, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the help. It was stupid of me to think of ax instead of just thinking g the whole time. This clarified things a bunch, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?