Basic proportion question?

• Thread starter CloudChamber
  • Start date
In summary, a basic proportion question involves finding the relationship between two or more quantities by comparing their respective proportions or ratios. To solve it, you can use the "cross-multiplication" method where you set two resulting products equal to each other. Examples of basic proportion questions include calculating the cost of a certain amount of items and determining the concentration of a solution. Practical applications of basic proportion questions can be found in finance, cooking, and science. Tips for solving these types of questions include double-checking your work and setting up a proportion table. Practice and familiarity with different types of proportions can also improve your problem-solving skills.
CloudChamber
Hello all,
It seems I've forgotten a lot about basic math since Algebra one. I need some helpcreating a simple formula. I know that ionization density is proportional to the square of the charge (Ze). How would I express this mathematically?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
CloudChamber said:
Hello all,
It seems I've forgotten a lot about basic math since Algebra one. I need some helpcreating a simple formula. I know that ionization density is proportional to the square of the charge (Ze). How would I express this mathematically?

[tex]ID = k(Ze)^2[/tex] with k being the constant of proportionality

DonAntonio

1. What is a basic proportion question?

A basic proportion question involves finding the relationship between two or more quantities by comparing their respective proportions or ratios.

2. How do I solve a basic proportion question?

To solve a basic proportion question, you can use the "cross-multiplication" method. This involves multiplying the numerator of one ratio by the denominator of the other, and then setting the two resulting products equal to each other.

3. Can you give an example of a basic proportion question?

Sure, an example of a basic proportion question would be: "If 8 apples cost $12, how much would 12 apples cost?" Here, the proportion would be 8 apples is to $12 as 12 apples is to x (the unknown cost).

4. What are some practical applications of basic proportion questions?

Basic proportion questions are commonly used in fields such as finance, cooking, and science. For example, in finance, proportions are used to calculate interest rates and loan payments. In cooking, proportions are used to scale recipes up or down. In science, proportions are used to determine the concentration of a solution or the speed of a chemical reaction.

5. Are there any tips for solving basic proportion questions?

One helpful tip is to always double-check your work by plugging the numbers back into the original proportion and making sure it is still equal. It can also be helpful to set up a proportion table to organize the given values and the unknown values. Practice and familiarity with different types of proportions can also improve your problem-solving skills.