Graph X-Axis from CSV File with Python

• Thread starter chipotleaway
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Python
In summary, to create a graph from a .csv file with 3 columns (independent, dependent, uncertainty in dependent variable), you can use the pyplot.plot() function in Python. However, if you pass a single 2D array, it may plot all columns against the row index. To avoid this, you can pass the individual columns explicitly. For example, plot(data[0],data[1],'ko') will plot the first and second columns as the x and y axes, respectively.
chipotleaway
How do if you have a .csv file with 3 columns (independent, dependent, uncertainty in dependent variable), how do you make a graph so that the independent variable is the x-axis and the dependent is the y axis?

All I've done is
Code:
pylab.plot(data,"ko")
pylab.show()

The graph I get seems to have plotted the independent variable as the dependent...as well as the other two columns

Technology news on Phys.org
hhhmmm...passing a single 2D array may be causing plot to plot all columns against the row index...try passing the individual columns explicitly, something like plot(data[0],data[1],'ko')

Likes 1 person
Thanks, got it now. Looks like it's plotting everything correctly

1. How do I read a CSV file in Python?

To read a CSV file in Python, you can use the built-in "csv" module. First, import the module by using the command "import csv". Then, use the "reader" function to open the CSV file and read its contents. You can also specify the delimiter and other parameters if needed.

2. How do I extract data from a CSV file in Python?

To extract data from a CSV file in Python, you can use the "reader" function from the "csv" module. This function will return the data as a list of lists, with each inner list representing a row in the CSV file. You can then use indexing or looping to access and manipulate the data as needed.

3. How do I plot a graph from a CSV file in Python?

To plot a graph from a CSV file in Python, you can use the "matplotlib" library. First, import the library by using the command "import matplotlib.pyplot as plt". Then, use the "csv" module to read the data from the CSV file and store it in lists. Finally, use the "plot" function from matplotlib to plot the data on the graph.

4. How do I label the x-axis on my graph from a CSV file in Python?

To label the x-axis on your graph from a CSV file in Python, you can use the "xlabel" function from the "matplotlib" library. First, import the library by using the command "import matplotlib.pyplot as plt". Then, use the "xlabel" function and pass in the desired label as a string. This will label the x-axis on your graph with the specified label.

5. How do I customize the x-axis on my graph from a CSV file in Python?

To customize the x-axis on your graph from a CSV file in Python, you can use the various customization options provided by the "matplotlib" library. These options include changing the tick marks, adding a title, changing the range, and more. You can refer to the documentation for more details on how to customize the x-axis on your graph.