Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic QED question

1. Jul 25, 2010 #1
    In the Eric Weissteins's World of Physics entry on "Quantum Electrodynamics" he gives one of the governing equations as

[tex]

[ c \mathbf{a} ( -i \hbar \nabla - \frac {e}{c} \bf {A} ) + bmc^2 ] \psi = ( i \hbar \frac {\partial}{\partial t} - e \phi ) \psi

[/tex]

but doesn't define a or b. Are these the Dirac matrices, with a = { [itex] \alpha_1, \alpha_2, \alpha_3 [/itex] } and b = [itex] \alpha_4 [/itex]?

Thanks.

Edit: Oops - sorry about the title of this thread! I meant to call it something like, "basic QED question" but I was testing the LaTeX first and forgot to change it, and now that it's up I don't know how to!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2010 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: test

Yes, they are the [itex] \alpha [/itex] and the [itex] \beta [/itex] of Dirac.

4. Jul 26, 2010 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Thread title has been changed.

Zz.

5. Jul 27, 2010 #4
    Thanks to you both.

I just noticed something. Is there a typo in that equation? I checked again and the way I entered it is exactly how it appears on the Weisstein page

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/QuantumElectrodynamics.html

but it looks like the dimensions of the second term on the left hand side - leaving out the wave function itself -

[tex]

c \mathbf {a} (- \frac {e}{c} \mathbf {A} ) = - \mathbf {a} e \mathbf {A}

[/tex]

are different from the others. It's momentum while the others are energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook