1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic question about Force

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to find out if force in newtons can be negative.

If i know the magnitude of decelaration of a car ( a minus acceleration ) and i know the mass, do i multiply the - acceleration value by the mass, resulting in a minus value in newtons, or do i multiply the mass by the deceleration, resulting in a positive value in newtons.

2. Relevant equations

for example, 1500kg ( mass ) x -2 m s-2 ( acceleration ) = -3000 newtons

3. The attempt at a solution

I think this would be correct because the minus is telling us the direction in which the force is being applied, but i really am not sure, any advice would be appreciated?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2
    A force is a vector, it cannot have a negative magnitude. Although what you see as -3000 newtons is really just a contradiction of the direction. The 3000 newtons is acting in the direction opposite to the one you assumed it's acting in.

F=ma, should actually be |F|=m|a|, or [tex]\vec{F} = m \vec{a}[/tex]

EDIT: Sorry, just read your attempt at solution. You're right, it corresponds to the direction.

4. Oct 19, 2011 #3
    Hi, thank you for your reply. So if i were to write the answer as -3000 newtons would that be correct? Or should it be 3000?

Many thanks.

5. Oct 19, 2011 #4
    Hiii zoezoehzoe !

Force is a vector quantity but that doesn't even mean that it has to be negative. However I came across some text books which claim the answers in -500 N etc. It is not a big deal but this is not correct. It is wrong ! As Ahmedbasil said that force is vector because of direction. It has magnitude as well as direction.

|F| = m x |a| ---> This is a correct representation.

Cross product of vector(acceleration) and scalar(mass) is always vector(force).

Vector quantity : Direction + Magnitude + can be negative or remain absolute OR only magnitude but negative ; Example: Displacement , acceleration , velocity etc .

Scalar quantity :Only Magnitude ;and only positive . Eg. Distance , speed , mass etc .

In F=ma , acceleration has nothing to do with direction even. It just tells increase or decrease in velocity per unit time. Force is dependent on direction. Example : Centripetal force in centre due to constant change in direction.

I recommend you should write 3000 N as your answer.
    Ahmedbasil , you are correct to say that -X N means force is applied in opposite direction but you must not say that it is because it is causing retardation in opposite direction. Retardation = -(-Acceleration).
    Positive and negative sign in acceleration just tell that whether speed is increasing (velocity for particular) or decreasing.

:wink:

Always feel free to ask questions. Well done !

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  6. Oct 19, 2011 #5
    Thank you both very much for your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook