What is the speed of a falling box?

• Thread starter syang9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the question is asking for the speed of a box that falls 0.5m to the ground after sliding horizontally at 2m/s. The answer can be found using the kinematics equation for final velocity and taking into account the acceleration due to gravity. The final speed is found to be sqrt(14) or sqrt(2^2 + sqrt(10)^2).
syang9
alright, i know this is really basic stuff, so please bear with me.

let's say i have a box or something that is sliding horizontally at 2m/s across a table. all of a sudden it falls 0.5m to the ground. what's the speed of the box right before it hits the floor?

okay, so it's pretty easy to see that 0.5m will result in a vertical velocity component of sqrt(10) m/s. my question is, to get the speed, do i just add them up in quadrature? i.e.,

speed = sqrt(2^2 + sqrt(10)^2) = sqrt(14)?

Physics news on Phys.org
umm I don't think so. I think all you need is the kinematics equation
(final velocity)^2 = (initial velocity^2 + 2(acceleration)(distance)

the distance is 0.5, acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 and the inital velocity is 0 m/s because the box slides off the table with 2 m/s horizontal velocity but no vertical velocity

so (final velocity) = sqrt ( 2 x 9.8 x 0.5)

does that make sense?

i thought speed was a scalar. doesn't that mean it's the magnitude of the resultant vector of the two components?

I think you are right, syang9. NeedLottaHelp didn't realize you already had the vertical part done. Maybe use 9.81 instead of 10, though.

so the answer is sqrt(14)?

Yes, if g = 10 in your part of the world.

1. What is speed?

Speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving. It is usually measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.

2. How is speed calculated?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance / time.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they actually have different meanings. Speed is the rate of motion, while velocity is the rate of motion in a specific direction. In other words, velocity includes both speed and direction.

4. What factors affect an object's speed?

The speed of an object can be affected by various factors such as the object's mass, the force acting on the object, and the surface it is moving on. Other factors like air resistance and friction can also impact an object's speed.

5. How is speed related to acceleration?

Speed and acceleration are closely related, but they are not the same thing. Speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving, while acceleration is the measure of how fast an object's speed is changing. A change in speed means there is acceleration, either speeding up or slowing down.