How does light interact with objects to create vision?

• Thread starter anni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vision
In summary, the discussion was about the basic principle of vision, which is that we see objects because light reflects off of them and enters our eyes. Dark objects absorb more light rather than reflect it, and this is due to different types of reflection such as diffuse, specular, and coherent. The group suggested doing research on color reflection and absorption to gain a better understanding of this concept.
anni
Hi Physics friends. Quick Question at a very, very basic level regarding vision. It’s so basic that it needs to be checked out to make sure I’m distilling it properly. Can I do it like this?

“At a very basic level, we see an object because light reflects off of it and hits our eyes. The darker the object, the more light is absorbed rather than reflected back at us.”

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's correct, as a basic statement of vision.

Thank you! I totally get the first part. But why do dark objects absorb more light rather than reflect it?

anni said:
Thank you! I totally get the first part. But why do dark objects absorb more light rather than reflect it?
What research have you done on that? What have you found out? Which part do you not understand?

I haven't done any research other than working my brain.

What I understand: We see objects because they either give off their own light, or light reflects off the objects and enters our eyes. The moon is an interesting example. It doesn’t make its own light – we can see the moon because it reflects light from the sun. If an object did not reflect any light, we would not be able to see it.

What I do not understand: Why do dark objects absorb more light? And: why rather than reflect it?

How many years do you wish to devote to this answer??You could learn much of physics.
One major category in your researches should be the different types of reflection...diffuse, specular, coherent , etc.
But you should spend some time with Google and then ask us the stuff you are wrestling with understanding...

anni said:
I haven't done any research other than working my brain.
Why do dark objects absorb more light? And: why rather than reflect it?
We're not really a Q&A forum. We expect people to have made some effort on their own and come here to ask about what they don't understand from what they have found out.

Welcome to the PF, anni! :smile:
anni said:
Why do dark objects absorb more light? And: why rather than reflect it?
Just to give you a little boost in helping you to answer this question... I used Google to search on color reflection absorption and got lots of good hits. (I searched on color instead of just dark/light, because your question really is more general than just black and white light). Here is the first hit on the list:

https://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/light/Lesson-2/Light-Absorption,-Reflection,-and-Transmission
That should get you a long way toward answering your questions about vision and light. You can also do that same Google search and add other search terms into get you to other good articles about the subject. Please do post questions that you have after doing some of that reading. That is what the PF does best -- we are happy to answer questions about the reading you have been doing if you are not understanding something, or are having trouble with search terms in your studies.

:smile:

1. What is vision?

Vision is the ability to see and interpret visual information from our surroundings using our eyes and brain. It involves the process of light entering our eyes, being converted into electrical signals, and then being interpreted by our brain to create images and visual perception.

2. How does vision work?

Vision works through a complex process involving the eyes, optic nerves, and brain. Light enters the eye through the cornea and is focused by the lens onto the retina, which contains photoreceptor cells that convert light into electrical signals. These signals are then sent to the brain through the optic nerves, where they are interpreted and processed to create visual perception.

3. What are the main components of vision?

The main components of vision are the eyes, optic nerves, and brain. The eyes capture light and convert it into electrical signals, while the optic nerves transmit these signals to the brain. The brain then interprets and processes these signals to create visual perception.

4. How does vision develop?

Vision develops through a combination of genetic factors and environmental stimuli. Babies are born with basic visual capabilities, but their vision continues to develop and improve as they grow and are exposed to different visual stimuli. The development of vision is also influenced by factors such as nutrition, early visual experiences, and brain development.

5. What are common vision problems?

Some common vision problems include nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, and presbyopia. These are all refractive errors that affect the way light is focused on the retina, resulting in blurry vision. Other vision problems include color blindness, cataracts, and glaucoma, which are caused by various factors such as genetics, age, and eye damage.