What Determines the Breakability of Sulfur Clumps at the Atomic Level?

In summary, the conversation discusses the bonding of atoms in solid materials, particularly sulfur. It is explained that sulfur typically forms rings with covalent bonds and these rings are held together by van der Waals forces. The distinction of when a clump of sulfur atoms is big enough to be broken apart by touching it is determined by the sharpness of the tool used, as fingers are not sharp enough to handle such a small amount of sulfur.
isntanything
I'm reading my coursework (Gen Chem) and I just have a question that hasn't really been answered.
So, when you have a collection of atoms taking visible form, like with Sulfur for example, the atoms are held together simply because they're close together, which I think is the principle of VDW forces. Right? But where does it stop being, the atoms being held together, and start being, you can break apart a clump of sulfur particles by touching it simply because it's nonmetallic? When does a clump of sulfur atoms get big enough to where you can just break a group of them apart with your finger? What's the distinction? I asked my friend who recently got his BS in Chemistry and he couldn't really give me answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
The type of bond in a solid depends on the material, sulfur typically (not always) forms rings with covalent bonds and these rings connect to each other with vdW forces.

You can split a collection of two rings if you have a tool that is fine enough. There is no dividing line, your fingers are simply not sharp enough to break (or even handle) such a small amount of sulfur.

1. What are atomic forces?

Atomic forces are the attractive and repulsive forces that exist between atoms. These forces are responsible for holding atoms together to form molecules and for determining the physical and chemical properties of substances.

2. How do atomic forces work?

Atomic forces are caused by the interactions between the electrons and nuclei of atoms. These interactions can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the distance between the atoms and the strength of the forces involved.

3. What are the different types of atomic forces?

There are four main types of atomic forces: ionic forces, covalent forces, metallic forces, and van der Waals forces. Ionic forces are the electrostatic attraction between positively and negatively charged ions, while covalent forces are the sharing of electrons between atoms. Metallic forces are the attraction between positively charged metal ions and a "sea" of electrons, and van der Waals forces are weak attractions between molecules or atoms due to temporary dipoles.

4. How do atomic forces affect the properties of substances?

Atomic forces play a crucial role in determining the physical and chemical properties of substances. For example, the strength of covalent bonds can determine the melting and boiling points of a substance, while the strength of ionic bonds can affect the solubility of a substance in water. The type and strength of atomic forces also determine the hardness, ductility, and electrical conductivity of materials.

5. How can we measure atomic forces?

Atomic forces are typically measured using sophisticated techniques such as atomic force microscopy or scanning tunneling microscopy. These techniques allow scientists to observe and manipulate individual atoms, providing valuable insights into the nature of atomic forces and their effects on matter.