1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Question

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1
    1. h gre problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My 6th grader needs help in her homework: She needs examples of Block and tackle with potential and kinetic energy. Could someone please point us in the right direction?

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution
    web search, and I am not a physics person, just trying to help an 11 year old!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jun 2, 2009 #3
    I don't know about potential and kinetic energy being the main topic there. I would have a different description for such machines, like many other common objects -- nutcracker, wheelbarrow, crowbar, etc. I'd say the main idea is that such machines make it easier for a person to do work by letting you apply only half the force, as long as you make up for it by applying that force over twice the distance, or you can apply only one-third as much force, as long as you're willing to apply that force over three times as much distance, etc.

5. Jun 3, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook