What Mysteries Lie Between the Galaxies?

• B
  • Thread starter kechloo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronomy
In summary,1. The Solar System resides within the Milky Way galaxy.2. There are "rogue" planets which are not bound to any galaxy.3. Star and planets form in "stellar nurseries", which are dense gas and dust nebulae. Most of the material ends up forming the star, but some of it remains circling the star and forms planets.
kechloo
Hello,

Well, first, I’m sorry if I’m doing mistakes in the english… (not my first language). I’m not profesionnal on physics and astronomy but I’m really curious.

I have somes basics questions :

Where is the place of our solar system in the milky way ?

Is it possible to have like « physical bodies » in between the galaxies ? or it’s just empty ?

If I understood well, The birth of stars and planets start the same but after there is a differentiation ? Where are they born ? All the stars and planets are located in solar systems ?

Likes Mlesnita Daniel
Astronomy news on Phys.org
1. This is easily google-able, see here: https://Earth'sky.org/space/does-our-sun-reside-in-a-spiral-arm-of-the-milky-way-galaxy
2. In between the galaxies is mostly just empty space. The inter-galactic medium exists (a very diffuse gas), there are dwarf galaxies, and there could be a few stars and other objects which were ejected from nearby galaxies. But mostly empty space.
3. The current theory of planetary formation is that they are made by the "left over" material nearby newly formed stars (or proto-stars). "Solar system" refers to our specific system (since "Solar" refers to our specific star - Sol or "The Sun"), but most (likely all, though I'm not sure) currently detected exoplanets are in planetary systems orbiting stars. Planets, in theory, can be located outside of planetary systems if they get ejected. If they are ejected though, firstly they become very difficult to detect since they don't really give off light, and secondly they may no longer be classified as a "planet". One would have to consult the IAU definition of a planet...but iirc, a lone compact rocky or gassy object not orbiting a star would not qualify as a planet.

Likes BillTre and berkeman
kechloo said:
Hello,

Well, first, I’m sorry if I’m doing mistakes in the english… (not my first language). I’m not profesionnal on physics and astronomy but I’m really curious.

I have somes basics questions :

Where is the place of our solar system in the milky way ?
Here's a picture showing the Solar system's location in the galaxy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_System#/media/File:Milky_Way_Arms_ssc2008-10.svg
Is it possible to have like « physical bodies » in between the galaxies ? or it’s just empty ?
There are "rogue stars" which are not gravitational bound to any galaxy. They were most likely born within galaxies and then later ejected by some interaction.
If I understood well, The birth of stars and planets start the same but after there is a differentiation ? Where are they born ? All the stars and planets are located in solar systems ?

Star and their planets form in stellar "nurseries", these are gas and dust nebula which are dense enough for material to condense into a star system. Most of the material ends up forming the star( or in many cases stars, as systems with more than one star are common.), but some of it remains circling it and forms planets. The basic difference between a star and planet is whether or not fusion is occurring at its core. There is a intermediary object known as a "Brown Dwarf", but the line between "large planet" and "small brown dwarf" is a bit blurry.

There are "rogue" planets which wander in the regions between star systems, bit these were formed in star systems and then ejected (Buring the early stages of planetary formation, star systems can be crowded and a bit chaotic.)

Likes davenn, berkeman and BillTre
Thanks a lot for your answers :)

Likes berkeman
Janus said:
Here's a picture showing the Solar system's location in the galaxy:
Technically, that would be an "illustration"... :wink:

kechloo said:
An interesting thing about deep space is that the amount of matter out there is about one proton on average in each metre cube of space. It's one of the many things about Space that are just very hard to comprehend, A very deep vacuum but NOT EMPTY. :smile:

Likes Mlesnita Daniel

1. What is astronomy?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and phenomena that exist beyond Earth's atmosphere. This includes planets, stars, galaxies, and other objects in the universe.

2. How is astronomy different from astrology?

Astronomy is a scientific field that uses observations and data to understand the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects. Astrology, on the other hand, is a belief system that claims to use the positions of celestial bodies to predict human affairs and personality traits.

3. How do astronomers measure distances in space?

Astronomers use different methods to measure distances in space depending on the distance being measured. For objects within our solar system, they use radar and parallax measurements. For objects outside our solar system, they use techniques such as the cosmic distance ladder, which involves measuring the brightness and size of objects to determine their distance.

4. What is the difference between a planet and a star?

A planet is a celestial body that orbits a star and does not emit its own light. It is much smaller than a star and is made up of mostly rock and gas. A star, on the other hand, is a massive, luminous sphere of plasma held together by its own gravity. It produces its own light and heat through nuclear reactions in its core.

5. How do astronomers study objects that are millions of light years away?

Astronomers use powerful telescopes, both on Earth and in space, to study objects that are millions of light years away. They also use advanced imaging techniques, such as spectroscopy, to gather information about the composition and properties of these distant objects. Additionally, they use computer simulations and mathematical models to understand the behavior of these objects based on the data they collect.