1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic relative error problem

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    Assume the density of air was measured as 1.00 kg/m3 ± 5%. The room has dimensions 4 m × 5 m × 2 m, each measured with 10% relative error. What is the mass of the air in the room? What is the relative error for the mass?

I think this is a very simple problem, and i found what the mass of the air would be, i just don't understand relative errors, so how do i find the relative error for the mass?

D = m/V D = 1.00 kg/m3 V = (4 m *5 m *2 m) = 40 m3
    m = (1.00 kg/m3)/ (40 m3)
    m = .025 kg → m = .03 kg

relative error: Is it something like 5%/ 10% ??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Have you studied the rule for how to get the relative error when you multiply two quantities?

4. Sep 17, 2007 #3
    no, we didn't learn much about relative error at all.

5. Sep 17, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Have a look at this page:

http://www.rit.edu/~uphysics/uncertainties/Uncertaintiespart2.html

I myself don't know that much about how to treat relative errors... but it seems like when you multiply quantities you add relative errors.

In your calculation there are 4 quantities being multiplied. density, length, width, height... so I'm guessing you just add the relative errors to get the relative error of the mass...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?