Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic sequence help. (Convergence)

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    Im struggling with the concept of this basic sequence question.

Let x(n) be a sequence such that lim(n->00) (nx(n)) = 0

i.e. it converges to zero...

How could i show that there is an N s.t. for all n≥N : -1 < nx(n) < 1

Any tips would be great.. I don't want an answer.. I want to be guided through it please.

Regards as ever.
    Tam

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2
    What is the definition (using [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and N) of convergence for a sequence? Once you've written that, it should be straightforward to answer your question.

4. Oct 25, 2011 #3
    the convergence of a seq:

A sequence {r^n}00n=0 converges if -1< r <1

Attempt at answer:

Same as above but replace 'r^n' with 'nx(n)

Thanks so far

5. Oct 25, 2011 #4
    ^ Wut?? That's the result of convergence of a geometric series, it's very different.

A sequence of real numbers [itex](x_n)[/itex] converges when there exists a number [itex]L \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that, for any [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], I can find a number [itex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] so that [itex]|x_n - L| < \epsilon[/itex] whenever [itex]n > N[/itex]. This is very wordy but I'm sure this was introduced in your math class. The number L is the limit of the sequence [itex](x_n)[/itex].

What do you mean by "nx(n)"? Do you mean [itex]nx_n[/itex]?? If so, to show your desired result, use the definition from above. We know that for any number [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], I can find [itex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] so that [itex]|nx_n - L| < \epsilon[/itex] whenever n > N. Fill in the details now: we know L = 0. Also, the previous statements work for any chosen [itex]\epsilon[/itex] -- how can you choose [itex]\epsilon[/itex] to get the result?

6. Oct 26, 2011 #5
    Right:

|x(n) - L| < ε

therefore: |nx(n) - 0| < ε

therefore: nx(n) <

so, -ε < nx(n) < ε

so, take epsilon to be ε=1 and we have: -1 < nx(n) < 1

How does this look guys?

Thanks so far

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook