1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Set Theory Proof

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if A is a subset of B then A/D is a subset of B/D.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Consider element x of A. Since A is a subset of B then for all x element of A, x is an element of B. Consider element x of A/D. If x is an element of D then x is not a member of A and thus it does not matter if x is an element of B. If x is not an element of D and is an element of A than x is also in B because x is an element of A. Thus, A/D is a subset of B.

Not even sure if this much is correct. How do I prove this basic "subtracting a set from both subsets" identity??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2
    For one, you should not say "If x is an element of D then x is not a member of A ...", you should say "If x is an element of D then x is not a member of A/D", likewise for B/D.

But you take a lengthy confusing approach at this point. it would be more concise to say "Consider element x of A/D.." (here comes my part): x is an element of A/D implies x is in A and x is not in D....

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    Okay, I'll change that. But how do I finish the proof?

5. Oct 24, 2011 #4
    Pretty much like you did, I think, just with that shorter way of presenting it. Talk about why it implies x in is in B/D instead of considering B and D separately.

6. Oct 24, 2011 #5
    Oh! I think I get it. So the proof is: Consider x element of A/D. This means x is an element of A and not of D. This means x is a member of B, because all members of A are members of B, and since we already know that x is not an element of D we can combine these two facts and say x is an element of B/D.

7. Oct 24, 2011 #6
    It seems like you missed the point of considering x is in A/D instead of considering x is D and x is not in D.

You begin well here: "Consider element x of A. Since A is a subset of B then for all x element of A, x is an element of B. Consider element x of A/D." but then you begin taking cases of x in D or not in D. Don take cases. Just go straight into x is in A/D implies... whatever it implies. Leading into something about x is in B/D, right?

8. Oct 24, 2011 #7
    Um...I don't get it. :( What does A/D imply other than x is in A and not in D?

9. Oct 24, 2011 #8
    Oh, sorry, you're right. You're answer is good, I was thrown off by all the words. (we use all symbols in my class) :) Yay set theory *waves flag*

10. Oct 24, 2011 #9
    Perfect! Thanks! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook