1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic spring question

1. Nov 1, 2007 #1
    A spring is hung from the ceiling. When a block is attached to its end, it stretches 2.0 cm before reaching its new equilibrium length. The block is then pulled down slightly and released.

What is the frequency of oscillation?

I don't know how I'd get the frequency, so I just started with the things I knew.
    F = ma = -kx
    9.81m = -0.02k

...and then I got stuck.

Am I going in the right direction? If so, where next? If not, what should I try instead?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The frequency of oscillation of a mass on a spring is a function of the mass and the spring constant. Either look up the formula or derive it yourself by setting up the differential equation. (Look it up!)

Even though you don't have the mass or the spring constant, you are given enough information to make use of the formula (once you find it).
    Good. You will definitely need this result.

4. Nov 1, 2007 #3
    Just the answer I was looking for - a point in the right direction, but not giving too much away. Thanks :)

Edit: Found the equation, got stuck again, got unstuck, and now happily finished the question. Thanks again ^^;

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  5. Apr 23, 2008 #4
    can you give me a little more help with this? i still don't get it.

6. Apr 24, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Where exactly are you stuck? Have you figured out the spring constant?

7. Apr 24, 2008 #6
    no, because i don't know what the force is. how do i find that?

8. Apr 24, 2008 #7

Doc Al

It's just the weight of the block. Assume the block has mass "m". (You're not given the actual mass, but you don't need it.)

9. Apr 24, 2008 #8
    ok thanks! it's due at 11 so i'm gonna try to figure it out.

thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?