Calculating the Frequency of Oscillation for a Spring with a Hanging Block

• Thread starter Goldenwind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the frequency of oscillation of a mass on a spring is a function of the mass and the spring constant.
Goldenwind
A spring is hung from the ceiling. When a block is attached to its end, it stretches 2.0 cm before reaching its new equilibrium length. The block is then pulled down slightly and released.

What is the frequency of oscillation?

I don't know how I'd get the frequency, so I just started with the things I knew.
F = ma = -kx
9.81m = -0.02k

...and then I got stuck.

Am I going in the right direction? If so, where next? If not, what should I try instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
Goldenwind said:
What is the frequency of oscillation?
The frequency of oscillation of a mass on a spring is a function of the mass and the spring constant. Either look up the formula or derive it yourself by setting up the differential equation. (Look it up!)

Even though you don't have the mass or the spring constant, you are given enough information to make use of the formula (once you find it).
I don't know how I'd get the frequency, so I just started with the things I knew.
F = ma = -kx
9.81m = -0.02k
Good. You will definitely need this result.

Just the answer I was looking for - a point in the right direction, but not giving too much away. Thanks :)

Edit: Found the equation, got stuck again, got unstuck, and now happily finished the question. Thanks again ^^;

Last edited:
can you give me a little more help with this? i still don't get it.

sleepy126zzz said:
can you give me a little more help with this? i still don't get it.
Where exactly are you stuck? Have you figured out the spring constant?

no, because i don't know what the force is. how do i find that?

sleepy126zzz said:
no, because i don't know what the force is. how do i find that?
It's just the weight of the block. Assume the block has mass "m". (You're not given the actual mass, but you don't need it.)

ok thanks! it's due at 11 so I'm going to try to figure it out.

thanks for your help.

1. What is a basic spring?

A basic spring is a mechanical device that is made up of coiled metal wire or strip. It is designed to store and release energy, making it useful in a variety of applications such as in clocks, toys, and vehicles.

2. How does a basic spring work?

A basic spring works by using the physical properties of elasticity and potential energy. When a force is applied to the spring, it stretches or compresses, storing potential energy. Once the force is removed, the spring returns to its original shape, releasing the stored energy.

3. What are some common types of basic springs?

Some common types of basic springs include compression springs, extension springs, and torsion springs. Compression springs are designed to resist compression forces, while extension springs resist stretching forces. Torsion springs work by resisting twisting or rotational forces.

4. How do you calculate the force of a basic spring?

The force of a basic spring can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the spring's displacement from its resting position. The formula is F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

5. How can I ensure the longevity of a basic spring?

To ensure the longevity of a basic spring, it is important to use the spring within its specified load and deflection limits. It is also important to regularly inspect the spring for any signs of wear or damage and replace it if necessary. Proper storage and handling can also help prolong the lifespan of a basic spring.