Old Exam: Struggles with Questions 2 and 3

• Thread starter 00PS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the attached file is an old exam that a professor sent out. The individual struggles with problems 2 and 3, particularly with calculating moments and finding thetas. After consulting with a friend, they were able to determine that for problem 2, r is just the distance from point O to point B. To find the thetas, they suggest breaking the force F down into components using the unit vector and then using the cos-1 function to find thetax, thetay, and thetaz forms. They also mention using a determinant to calculate the moment and finding the unit vector to make the calculation easier.
00PS
the attached file is an old exam my professor sent out. i my struggles were with 2 and 3.

number 2:
I am having trouble calculating the moments and picking a vector for r in the equation M=r x F which reads the cross product of the r and F vectors. Also to find the thetas, for part 2, can I use the dot product to find the angle between them and thus theta?

Attachments

• exam 11.pdf
    194.4 KB · Views: 350
Physics news on Phys.org
For problem 2, r is just the distance from O to a point in the line of action of force F. In other words, this is just the distance from O to B. I believe this is <4, -3, 1.5>.

I'm not sure as to how you would use a dot product to find theta x, y, and z. However, the easiest solution here is to break your force F down into components (ijk form). You can do this by taking F times the unit vector of the force. The unit vector is just the direction components of the force divided by the magnitude of the direction components.

In other words:

F[(4/[tex]\sqrt{106}[/tex])i - (3/[tex]\sqrt{106}[/tex] )j - (9/[tex]\sqrt{106}[/tex] )k]

This will give you distinct Fx, Fy, and Fz components for the force F and you can find thetax, thetay, and thetaz forms by:

thetax = cos-1(Fx/F)

thetay = cos-1(Fy/F)

thetaz = cos-1(Fz/F)

I hope this helps. :)

thanks. I sort of figured it out after consulting a friend. To calculate the moment you evaluate a determinant of i,j,k being the first row, r components being the second, and F components being the third. As for the thetas, find the unit vector and set the components equal to arccosine like you said. This way is a bit easier because the hypotenuse is 1. This seems to be the correct way to do it.

1. What are the main challenges faced in questions 2 and 3 of the old exam?

The main challenges faced in questions 2 and 3 of the old exam include understanding the problem statement and identifying the relevant concepts, applying critical thinking skills to analyze and solve the problem, and managing time effectively to complete the questions within the given time frame.

2. How can one improve their performance in questions 2 and 3 of the old exam?

One can improve their performance in questions 2 and 3 of the old exam by practicing similar problems beforehand, developing a thorough understanding of the underlying concepts, and utilizing effective problem-solving strategies such as breaking down the problem into smaller parts and checking for errors.

3. Are there any specific tips for tackling questions 2 and 3 of the old exam?

Some tips for tackling questions 2 and 3 of the old exam include carefully reading and analyzing the problem statement, making a plan or outline before starting to solve the problem, and double-checking the calculations and solutions for accuracy.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in questions 2 and 3 of the old exam?

Some common mistakes to avoid in questions 2 and 3 of the old exam include misinterpreting the problem statement, using incorrect formulas or equations, and rushing through the questions without fully understanding the concepts involved.

5. Can one seek help from a tutor or instructor for questions 2 and 3 of the old exam?

Yes, seeking help from a tutor or instructor can be beneficial for understanding the concepts and problem-solving strategies involved in questions 2 and 3 of the old exam. They can also provide valuable feedback and tips for improving performance in these types of questions.