Solving Basic Statics Homework: 17.0 & 3.5 Positive/Negative?

• Thread starter TreePerson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, positive values in statics indicate a force or moment in a specific direction, while negative values indicate the opposite direction. The direction of a force or moment can be determined using the right-hand rule. To solve for the net force and moment on an object, vector addition and the principle of moments must be used. Units used in statics problems depend on the system of units being used, such as Newtons and Newton-meters in the International System of Units and pounds and foot-pounds in the US Customary system. Some common mistakes to avoid when solving statics problems include not considering direction, units, and formulas, as well as not accurately drawing and labeling diagrams and double-checking calculations.
TreePerson

Homework Statement

[URL]http://www.mypicx.com/uploadimg/1510974339_04192010_1.png[/URL]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i've got everything i just can't understand how you figure whether the 17.0 and 3.5 are negative or positive, can someone tell me how you figure this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
TreePerson said:

Homework Statement

[URL]http://www.mypicx.com/uploadimg/1510974339_04192010_1.png[/URL]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i've got everything i just can't understand how you figure whether the 17.0 and 3.5 are negative or positive, can someone tell me how you figure this?
Where is the text of the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between positive and negative values in statics?

In statics, positive values indicate a force or moment acting in a specific direction, while negative values indicate the opposite direction. This is important to consider when solving for equilibrium and determining the net force and moment on an object.

2. How do I determine the direction of a force or moment in statics?

The direction of a force or moment can be determined by using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the force or moment and curl your fingers towards the direction of the force or moment. Your fingers will point in the positive direction.

3. How do I solve for the net force and moment on an object in statics?

To solve for the net force on an object, you must use vector addition to find the sum of all forces acting on the object. To solve for the net moment, you must use the principle of moments and consider the lever arm of each force.

4. What are the units used in statics problems?

The units used in statics problems depend on the system of units being used. In the International System of Units (SI), force is measured in Newtons (N) and moment is measured in Newton-meters (Nm). In the US Customary system, force is measured in pounds (lb) and moment is measured in foot-pounds (ft-lb).

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving statics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving statics problems include not considering the direction of forces and moments, not using the correct units, and not using the correct formulas. It is also important to carefully draw and label diagrams, and to double-check all calculations to ensure accuracy.