1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Statistics Problem

1. Mar 21, 2012 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My mean is 5.80
    My standard deviation is 0.64
    The largest number does not exceed 7

1) What is the probablity the probability of randomly selecting a number, and the number being over 2 σ from the mean.

2) For a sample of 30, what is the probablity the mean will be over 2 SD from the mean?

2. The attempt at a solution

1) It must be 0%, correct? As 2 sd greater than the mean exceeds all values there are?

2) This is the one that puzzles me. I genuinely do not understand why 30 samples do not have to be taken. Perhaps, it also has something to do with 2 σ from the mean exceeding all values?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are correct about question 1). While a laywer could argue that the question 2) is ambiguous, I would think the meaning is clear enough: the σ in question 2) refers to the standard deviation of the sample mean, not the standard deviation of the underlying random variable. In other words, you need a σ that is different from 0.64; do you know what the correct value should be?

RGV

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook