1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic stoichiometry question

1. Jul 11, 2006 #1
    Can someone show me how to calculate the number of moles of a given compound's molecules when given the mass in grams of the compund sample?

I am kind of confused by this because at first I thought it just asked for me to convert the grams into moles, but that isnt exactly what is being asked.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2006 #2
    The actual problem that I dont understand says " how many moles of C2H3Cl3O2 molecules are in 100.0 g chloral hydrate (C2H3Cl3O2)?"

So thats to four sig figs and chloral hydrate has a molar mass of about 165.4 g/mol. I divided 100.0g / 165.4 g per mol to get about .6064 moles, but I'm getting that, it is incorrect.
    So did I do something wrong or is it a mistake by the teacher?
  4. Jul 11, 2006 #3
    Did you calculated the molar mass of [tex]C_2H_3Cl_3O_2[/tex] or it was given by your teacher? Anyway, the molar mass of [tex]C_2H_3Cl_3O_2[/tex] is 165.403 g.mol-1 which is the value you got.
    Then, the number of moles is 0.6046.

Honestly, I do not see anything wrong in what you have done. You should ask your teacher to revise this exercise.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2006
  5. Jul 11, 2006 #4
    Yeah I emailed my teacher because I was freaking out since I could have sworn I did it right.

Other people have already finished the assignment and no one has pointed out the supposed mistake to be revised that is why I am so skeptical.
  6. Jul 11, 2006 #5
    Do you have the solution?
  7. Jul 11, 2006 #6
    what do you mean by solution?
  8. Jul 11, 2006 #7
    You say that you are incorrect. Then, you should know the correct answer. That's what I am asking. Which is the correct answer to this problem?
  9. Jul 11, 2006 #8
    I too get that as my answer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?