1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic stokes theorem

1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the surface integral in stokes theorem to find circulation of field F around the curve C.
    F=x^2i+2xj+z^2k
    C: the ellipse 4x^2+y^2=4 in the xy plane, counterclockwise when viewed from above

2. Relevant equations
    stokes theroem: cirlulation=double integral of nabla X F.n d(sigma)

3. The attempt at a solution
    i got nabla cross F is 2k
    for the normal, aint it just k? coz im getting confused by if i let g(x,y,z)=4x^2+y^2-4=0 (the elispe)
    isnt n=grad(g)=8xi+2yj
    im confused with this

also should i parameterize the ellipse?
    im not sure how im meant to set the double integral out?
    im really lost, any help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right, curl(F)=2k and n=k. What's the dot product? You want to integrate that dx*dy over the interior of the ellipse 4*x^2+y^2=4. From here on the problem is not that different than finding the area of an ellipse or a circle using a double integral. Take a deep breath and try it. If you're clever, you'll notice the integrand is a constant so you don't have to integrate at all if you know a formula for the area of the region.

4. Jun 11, 2009 #3
    thanks, its just isnt the normal grad(g), or am i getting this confused with somethig else?

5. Jun 11, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are getting it confused with something else. You want the normal to the region in the x-y plane, which is k, as you said. grad(4x^2+y^2-4) is normal to the elliptical cylinder 4x^2+y^2-4=0.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook