Solving Basic Subtraction with Multiple Zeros

• Thread starter Dav333
  • Start date
In summary: The leftmost column is 0 - 4 which is -4. The next column is 7 - 0 which is 7. The next column is 9 - 3 which is 6. The last column is 1 - 1 which is 0. So the answer is -4 + 7 + 6 + 0 or 9.In summary, when subtracting numbers with multiple zeros, you can break them up into smaller groups to make it easier. You can also use the method of borrowing from the leftmost nonzero number and converting zeros into 9's and adding a 1 in front to make it a 10. Then you can subtract each column to find the answer. It's important to
Dav333
how do i do:

=

i have trouble with multiple zeros, thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, you have 8 thousands.

You may write that like
[tex]8000=7000+900+90+10[/tex]
(7 thousands+9 hundreds+9 tens+10 ones)
Thus, we have:
8000-7986=(7000-7000)+(900-900)+(90-80)+(10-6)=0+0+10+4=14

Last edited:
thx. that's a bit over my head. :(

i was looking for the basic way kids do it, like this:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3850/37640968.jpg

just when there are zeros together I get confused. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dav333 said:
thx. that's a bit over my head. :(

s.

Well, develop your head a bit, then, and make an EFFORT to understand it.

Maths isn't a set of meaningless routines where what you are seeking is a Tutor who can say them in such a way that you memorize it.

Look at your example. You were trying to find out 8321-4031 but you turned 8321 (8 thousands +3 hundreds +2 tens +1 ones) into (8 thousands + 2 hundreds + 12 tens + 1 ones).

Now, can you try and extend the same idea to break up 8000 in such a way as to solve the subtraction problem? Arildno has the answer, and if you think about what he said, you should be able to apply that idea to the way kids do it.

The way I learned it years ago:
You move to the left until you get to the first nonzero number from which you can borrow. Cross that number out, subtract 1 from it, and write that number above it (cross out 8 and write 7 above it in your problem). Cross out all the zeros and write 9 above them except for the rightmost 0; that zero gets a 1 before it so it becomes a 10. Then you can subtract each column of numbers.

Attachments

• subtraction.jpg
    subtraction.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 360

1. How do I solve basic subtraction problems with multiple zeros?

To solve basic subtraction problems with multiple zeros, you can follow the same steps as you would for any other subtraction problem. Start by lining up the numbers vertically, with the larger number on top. Then, starting from the rightmost column, subtract the bottom number from the top number. If the top number is smaller than the bottom number, you will need to borrow from the next column over. Finally, bring down any remaining digits from the top number and continue subtracting until you reach the leftmost column.

2. What are some tips for solving basic subtraction problems with multiple zeros?

Some tips for solving basic subtraction problems with multiple zeros include: starting with the rightmost column and working your way left, using mental math to simplify the problem before solving, and double-checking your work by adding the difference back to the bottom number to make sure it equals the top number.

3. How do I know when to borrow in a basic subtraction problem with multiple zeros?

You will need to borrow in a basic subtraction problem with multiple zeros when the top number is smaller than the bottom number in a particular column. This means that you don't have enough digits to subtract from the top number, so you will need to borrow from the next column over to make the subtraction possible.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve basic subtraction problems with multiple zeros?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve basic subtraction problems with multiple zeros. However, it's still important to understand the steps and concepts involved in solving these problems, as it will help you to better understand and solve more complex subtraction problems in the future.

5. How can I practice solving basic subtraction problems with multiple zeros?

You can practice solving basic subtraction problems with multiple zeros by creating your own problems or using worksheets or online resources. It's important to start with simpler problems and gradually increase the difficulty as you become more comfortable with the process. You can also ask a teacher or tutor for additional practice problems or for feedback on your work.