Basic Summation Operations - Manipulating of domain and change of variable

In summary, the first problem states that the sum of two infinite series, one for the set S(j) and one for the set R(j), is equal to the sum of the intersection of S(j) and R(j) plus the sum of the union of S(j) and R(j), as long as three out of the four sums exist. The second problem shows that the sums for R(j) and R(c-j) are equal for an arbitrary infinite series, where c is an integer. This is proven by showing that both sums can be rewritten as the sum of two limits, which are equal to the original sums.
PhDorBust

Homework Statement

a) Show that [tex]$\sum_{S(j)} a_j + \sum_{R(j)} a_j = \sum_{S(j) and R(j)} a_j + \sum_{S(j) or R(j)} a_j$[/tex] is valid for an arbitrary infinite series, provided that 3 out of 4 sums exist.

b) Show that [tex]$\sum_{R(j)} a_j = \sum_{R(c-j)} a_{c-j}[/tex] for an arbitrary infinite series where c is an integer.

Homework Equations

Since we are dealing with infinite series we cannot use the standard notation, we must use calculus so our definition of summation becomes:
[tex]$\sum_{S(j)} a_j = (\lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_{S(j),-n<j<0} a_j) + (\lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_{S(j), 0<=j<n} a_j)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really haven't the slightest idea, I have been aimlessly trying to manipulate definition of infinite series with zero luck. These problems are from Knuth's TAOCP v.1.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming there is some trick or insight that I am missing.UpdateAfter a great deal of thought I think I have found the answer to part b.$\sum_{R(j)} a_j = (\lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_{R(j),-n<j<0} a_j) + (\lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_{R(j), 0<=j<n} a_j)$$\sum_{R(c-j)} a_{c-j} = (\lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_{R(c-j),-n<c-j<0} a_{c-j}) + (\lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_{R(c-j), 0<=c-j<n} a_{c-j})$$= (\lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_{R(j),-(n+c)<j<-c} a_j) + (\lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_{R(j), c<=j<n+c} a_j)$$= (\lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_{R(j),-n<j<0} a_j) + (\lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_{R(j), 0<=j<n} a_j)$$= \sum_{R(j)} a_j$So $\sum_{R(j)} a_j = \sum_{R(c-j)} a_{c-j}$ is valid.

1. What are basic summation operations?

Basic summation operations involve adding or subtracting a series of numbers together. This can be done using the Sigma notation, which represents the sum of a sequence of numbers.

2. How do you manipulate the domain in summation operations?

To manipulate the domain in summation operations, you can use properties such as the distributive property, associative property, and commutative property. These properties allow you to rearrange the terms in the sum to make it easier to evaluate.

3. What does it mean to change the variable in summation operations?

Changing the variable in summation operations involves replacing the variable in the sum with a different variable. This can be useful when solving more complex summations or when trying to find a general formula for a summation.

4. Can you give an example of changing the variable in summation operations?

For example, if we have the sum ∑n=15 n, we can change the variable from "n" to "k" to get ∑k=15 k. This does not change the value of the sum, but it may make it easier to evaluate or manipulate.

5. Why is it important to understand basic summation operations?

Understanding basic summation operations is important because they are used in many fields of science and mathematics, such as statistics, physics, and engineering. They are often used to represent and solve real-world problems involving sequences and series of numbers.