Help Understanding Thermo Principles

• Thread starter Sabre1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermo
In summary, the problem is that when you disregard heat transfer through walls and doors, the work done by the fan is considered internal energy and not work.
Sabre1
Okay, I need some help understanding some of the Thermo principles and I found this forum. I hope someone can help.

I'm working on Energy Analysis of a closed system. Conservation of energy principle and all that. deltaU = Q-W. Every time I think I know what should be considered work and what should be considered internal energy (U), etc. I am proven wrong.

In one example we have a room where we are disregarding any heat transfer through walls and doors. We are given a constant room volume, an initial Pressure and Temperature, the Wattage of a running fan and an amount of Time that the fan is running for. We are asked if the room cools down,which of course it will not because no heat is being removed and the work from the fan will add heat to the room.

Q=0 and we are left with deltaU = -W
delta U = Wattage * Time = kJ
that is one thing that confuses me because I would have thought the work by the fan would = Work or negative work whatever the case might be.

The problem boils down to
delta U = mass * Cv * (T2-T1) and we solve for T2
(mass and Cv were calculated for air from data given)

What happened to work? I'm confused. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Just, balance, energy, period.

[tex] \dot {E_{in}} - \dot{E_{out}} = \frac {dE}{dt} |_{cv} [/tex]

VIdt - work-energy in

[tex]Q_{in}[/tex] - heat flow in (assumed)

m2u2 - m1u2, change in energy of the control volume.

Don't plug and chug. Learn what you are doing.

Clearly, I'm not plugging and chugging. I've worked through the entire problem and I'm asking a logic question. I can see why you are using the energy balance formula, however, it does not address my question.

My question is - why is the work by the fan being considered internal energy and not work? In this problem Q=0 so I'm not sure what your reference to Q is.

Last edited:
why is the work by the fan being considered internal energy and not work

Did you read what I wrote for you?

me said:
VIdt - work-energy in

Does that say internal energy?

Ok, Q=0. In any event, it will tell you Q=0 when you solve the problem.

Thermo

I guess I'm going to get more attitude than help here.

You are the one who made the comment about blanket statements when tried to help you. In any event, let's start over.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies how energy is transferred and transformed within a system, and how these processes affect the properties of matter.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern all physical processes involving heat and energy. There are four laws, but the first and second laws are the most commonly referenced. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that the total entropy (disorder) of a closed system will always increase over time.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are often used interchangeably, but they actually have different meanings. Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from a hotter object to a cooler object. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In other words, heat is the energy being transferred, while temperature is a measure of how fast the particles are moving.

4. What is the difference between an open and closed system in thermodynamics?

An open system is one that can exchange both matter and energy with its surroundings, while a closed system can only exchange energy. In an open system, matter can enter or leave the system, while in a closed system, the amount of matter remains constant. The laws of thermodynamics apply to both open and closed systems, but they have different implications on the behavior and properties of the system.

5. How is thermodynamics applied in real life?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in the design of engines, refrigerators, and air conditioners, as well as in power plants and industrial processes. It also plays a role in understanding weather patterns and climate change. Many materials, such as metals and polymers, have their properties and behaviors explained by thermodynamics. Understanding thermodynamics is essential in fields such as chemistry, engineering, and meteorology.