1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic topology: closure and union

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]Cl(S \cup T)= Cl(S) \cup Cl(T)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    I'm using the fact that the closure of a set is equal to itself union its limit points.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am just having trouble with showing [itex]Cl(S \cup T) \subset Cl(S) \cup Cl(T)[/itex]. I can prove this one way, but I figured out another way that I prefer and want to know if there is any flaw in it:

Basically it boils down to showing the limit points of [itex]S \cup T[/itex] is a subset of the limit points of S union the limit points of T. So, if x is a limit point of [itex]S \cup T[/itex] then every open set U containing x intersects [itex]S \cup T[/itex] in a point other than x. Hence, x is a limit point of S or T.

I keep going back and forth. Sometimes I feel like this is fine and other times I feel like I'm making an error because if x is a limit point of S this means that every neighborhood of x intersects x in a point other than x. But in the proof I just gave, we know every neighborhood of x intersects [itex]S \cup T[/itex] in a point other than x, so we don't know if it necessarily always in S or T. I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with this! I think I am just over thinking it or something. So is this proof fine then?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, I think you've figured out exactly what the problem is. And it is a problem. It's good to have a feeling for when a proof is incomplete. You haven't proved it this way.

4. Mar 28, 2012 #3
    I'm not certain this can be proved directly like this, but the contrapositive is pretty easy to show. If x is not in Cl(S)∪Cl(T), then show it can't be in Cl(S∪T).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook