1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic topology question

1. Aug 28, 2014 #1
    Assume ##|X| > \rho## , let ##r = |X| - \rho##

Now I am trying to show that ##B(r,x)\subseteq S^c##

This should be a simple question, but I am struggling trying to find the right inequlity.

Attempt:

let ##y## be a point in ##B(r,x)##.

I know that ##|x - y| < r##.

I have to somehow show that ##|y| > \rho##

this is where my argument falls apart:

##|y| \leq |y-x| + |x|< r + \rho## (by triangle inequality)

but this doesn't show that ##|y| > \rho##

what am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's awfully hard to figure out what you are trying to say here.

Is "X" a number and |X| its absolute value (as opposed to a vector and its length)? If a vector or point, in R2, R3, or Rn?

Okay, Is "x" the same as "X", above? I presume that B(r, x) is the ball of radius r centered on x (in some metric space) but what is Sc? I would guess "the compliment of set S" but what is S?

4. Aug 28, 2014 #3

I apologize my writing of the question is very messy. You are right on both counts. X is a vector in Rn, Sc is the complement of S, and S is a subset of Rn. Sorry for making it messy.

5. Aug 28, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then your question makes no sense. You are given that [itex]|x|> \rho[/itex], and you want to prove that [itex]B(r, x)\subset S^c[/itex], the complement of set S? But what is "S". You don't mention it in the hypotheses.

6. Aug 29, 2014 #5

Sorry. S is B([itex]\rho[/itex], 0) , that is the ball of radius [itex]\rho[/itex] about the origin.

7. Aug 29, 2014 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, you want to show that if ##0<\rho<\|x\|## and ##r=\|x\|-\rho##, then ##B(x,r)\subseteq B(0,\rho)^c##. Let ##y\in B(x,r)## be arbitrary. You want to show that ##\|y\|>\rho##. I suggest this as the first step:
    $$\|y\|\geq\|x\|-\|y-x\|.$$

8. Aug 29, 2014 #7

Ok using: $$\|y\|\geq\|x\|-\|y-x\|.$$

I was trying this before but didn't feel it would be valid. Now since ##r=\|x\|-\rho##, I can then say

## r + \rho = \|x\|##

now can I say that:

##\|y\|\geq\|x\|-\|y-x\|\geq r + \rho = \|x\| - r##

which wold reduce to ##\|y\|\geq\rho ##

9. Aug 29, 2014 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you familiar with the triangle inequality in the form ##\|x+y\|\geq \|x\|-\|y\|##? (This can be derived from the usual version). Write ##\|y\|=\|(y-x)+x\|## and then use this.

This should be ##\|y\|\geq\|x\|-\|y-x\| > r+\rho-r##. (Because ##\|x\|=r+\rho## and ##\|y-x\|<r##).

10. Aug 29, 2014 #9
    Yea I just copied the code wrong for that, but no i was not aware of the triangle inequality in that form. I'm gping to go derive it now. Thanks. If I have an issue I will ask for assistence

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted