1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic torque problem

1. Nov 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a hoop of mass m and radius r has a cord wrapped around it the hoop is released while holding the string the hoop rolls without slippage
    write out force and torque eqns on the hoop
    given m, r determine downward accel

2. Relevant equations

Torque = I alpha
    Torque = r x F

3. The attempt at a solution

Torque = I * alpha
    I of hoop = m*r^2
    alpha = r*a

r x F = m*r^3 * a

this F must have relationship to gravity and tension right? if it were ma then my as cancel

Fy should be ma = Tension - mg ?

im lost at this point, thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw a free body diagram for the hoop.

Torque is calculated about some reference point. What point are you choosing?

The following link includes the excerpt below: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

General Posting Guidelines
    All posts must be in English. Posts in other languages will be deleted. Pay reasonable attention to written English communication standards. This includes the use of proper grammatical structure, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. SMS messaging shorthand ("text-message-speak"), such as using "u" for "you", and "plz" for "please", is not acceptable.
    ...​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook