1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Translation

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    How do you graph x^4???
    I understand that x^2 is over 1 up 1 over 1 up 3 over 1 up 5 etc...

But for x^4??? What is it? When I plugged it into the calculator the graphs were totally different?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

Gold Member

I'm not entirely sure that I understand what you're asking.

If your function is f(x)=x^4, that simply means that for every x value, you must take the fourth power of that. For example, f(1)=1^4=1*1*1*1=1, and f(2)=2^4=2*2*2*2=16. Your graph should look very similar to x^2 and should be in a parabola form that opens upwards and has a vertex of (0,0). The only difference is the x^4 will increase much more rapidly; however, the general shape will hold. Try changing your window to something narrower but taller. Also, make sure that your calculator is in the correct mode (avoid radians in this case).

Did this answer your question, or did I misunderstand?
  4. Oct 17, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

(x+1)2 - x2 = x2 + 2x + 1 - x2 = 2x + 1

Won't be that easy, the difference grows with 3rd power of x (plus some other terms).
  5. Oct 17, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?