1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Transposing

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1
    Sin180-A = (32.4/390)

I'm usually OK with transposing but I'm having trouble in this example. I need to isolate A and find its value. Can I simply move the Sin across so it becomes Sin-1 and leave 180-A?

For my final answer I get 175.2 degrees which leads me to think I'm of the mark because I suspect the answer should be under 90 degrees.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I really hate this idea of "moving" things from one side of the equation to another! It avoids thinking about what is really going on!

Your equation is sin(180- A)= 32.4/390, right? (The parentheses are a good idea also- there is a difference between that and sin(180)- A.)

On the left side of the equation the sine function is applied to 180- A. To "undo" that you apply it's inverse function, arcsin or sin-1 to both sides of the equation. Yes, it is 180- A= sin-1(32.4/390)= 4.8 degrees so A= 180- 4.8= 175.2 degrees as you say.

But sine is not "one-to-one" so arcsine is a multi-valued function. It is also true that sin(180- A)= sin(A) so A= 4.8 degrees also satisfies that equation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?