Solving Basic Transposition Problem: Isolating A and Finding its Value

• Thread starter WildFlower
  • Start date
In summary, the equation is sin(180- A)= 32.4/390 and to isolate A, you apply the inverse function of sine, arcsin, to both sides of the equation. This results in A= 4.8 degrees or 175.2 degrees. However, since sine is not a one-to-one function, both values satisfy the equation.
WildFlower
Sin180-A = (32.4/390)

I'm usually OK with transposing but I'm having trouble in this example. I need to isolate A and find its value. Can I simply move the Sin across so it becomes Sin-1 and leave 180-A?

For my final answer I get 175.2 degrees which leads me to think I'm of the mark because I suspect the answer should be under 90 degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
I really hate this idea of "moving" things from one side of the equation to another! It avoids thinking about what is really going on!

Your equation is sin(180- A)= 32.4/390, right? (The parentheses are a good idea also- there is a difference between that and sin(180)- A.)

On the left side of the equation the sine function is applied to 180- A. To "undo" that you apply it's inverse function, arcsin or sin-1 to both sides of the equation. Yes, it is 180- A= sin-1(32.4/390)= 4.8 degrees so A= 180- 4.8= 175.2 degrees as you say.

But sine is not "one-to-one" so arcsine is a multi-valued function. It is also true that sin(180- A)= sin(A) so A= 4.8 degrees also satisfies that equation.

I would suggest double-checking your calculations and ensuring that you have followed the correct order of operations. It is also important to keep in mind that the inverse function of Sin is not always simply Sin-1, but can also be written as Arcsin or sin^-1. In this case, it may be helpful to use a calculator or consult a trigonometric table to find the exact value of A. Additionally, if the answer seems to be outside of the expected range, it may be worth considering if there was a mistake made in the problem or if there are any restrictions on the possible values of A.

1. How do I identify A in a transposition problem?

In a basic transposition problem, A is typically represented as a variable or unknown number. It is important to carefully read the problem and identify the relationship between A and the other known values.

2. What are the steps to isolate A in a transposition problem?

The first step is to gather all equations involving A and rearrange them so that A is on one side of the equals sign and all other terms are on the other side. Then, use inverse operations to isolate A and solve for its value.

3. What is the purpose of isolating A in a transposition problem?

Isolating A allows us to find its specific value, which is crucial in solving the problem. It also helps to simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

4. Can I use the same steps to isolate A in any transposition problem?

Yes, the steps for isolating A are generally the same in any transposition problem. However, the specific operations used may vary depending on the given equations.

5. How can I check if my solution for A is correct?

To check if your solution for A is correct, plug the value back into the original equations and see if they hold true. If the equations are satisfied, then your solution for A is correct.