1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic transpostion formula problem

1. Jul 4, 2007 #1
    Hi,
    formula transposition is basic but I have trouble in doing it sometimes. eg1 is the correct answer but why do we divide both sides by two??
    Also I think I got eg2 wrong, my sense of multiplication and division is off.

S=UT+1/2at^2 make a the subject
    * Deduct UT from both sides S-UT=1/2AT^2
    *multiply both sides by 2 2(S-UT)=AT^2
    *Divide both sides by t^2 A=2(S-UT)/T^2

EG2
    L=N^2 X UA/ 1 make N the subject of the formula.
    *divide both sides by UA N^2/1=L/UA
    *multiply 1 N^2=L/UA X 1
    *square the equation N=square root of L/UA X 1

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see any division by two-- you multiply both sides by two to eliminate the factor of 1/2 premultiplying a.
    2. looks fine to me. However, you have factors of 1 floating around which really don't need to be written. So, I would do 2. as follows:
    [tex]l=n^2ua[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{l}{ua}=n^2[/tex]
    [tex]n=\sqrt{\frac{l}{ua}}[/tex]

4. Jul 4, 2007 #3
    Thanks Cristo.

5. Jul 6, 2007 #4
    Also, I have another transposed formulae with the right working and answer, but I've misunderstood some details.

Find Y
    y/(y + x)+ 5=x
    a) Multiply each side by y+x to get rid of the fraction
    y+5(y+x)=xy+x^2
    b) Multiply out of brackets
    y+5y+5x=xy+x^2
    c) Get all y terms on the left hand side of equation by subtracting xy
    6y-xy+5x=x^2
    d) Subtract 5x
    6y-xy=x^2-5x
    e) Divide 6-x to isolate y for final answer
    y=x^2-5x/6-x

I don't understand step b) where we get a value of x^2. Because x(y+x) would give us x^2 + y, not another seperate x value.
    Also in all the tanspositions I have done so far if you use a figure on one side of the equation it cancels out on that sideof the equation (eg V=IR x R would cancel R out RHS) but in step a this doesn't happen. Is this because there are like characters on both sides of the equation (x and y)???

6. Jul 6, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

NO! x(y+ x)= x*y+ x*x= x^2+ xy, not x^2+ y.

I don't understand what you mean by "use a figure on one side of the equation". If you want to solve V= IR for I, you must divide both sides of the equation by R: V/R= (IR)/R and now the two R's cancel:V/R= I.

It certainly did "happen". Multiplying both sides of the equation by x+ y "cancels" the denominator on the left: (y/y+x)(y+x)= y

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?