Solve 0.7 < \alpha < 0.8 for x in y = \cos 3x + 2

• Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the x-coordinate of point A where the curve y = cos 3x + 2 intersects the line y = 2x. By evaluating both functions at x = 0.7 and x = 0.8, it is shown that the x-coordinate must lie between these values, leading to the conclusion that 0.7 < α < 0.8. It is also mentioned that most equations cannot be solved for an exact solution, but approximate techniques exist.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The curve [itex] y = \cos 3x + 2[/itex] intersects the line [itex]y = 2x[/itex] at point [itex]A[/itex], whose x co-ordinate is [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Show that [itex] 0.7 < \alpha < 0.8 [/itex].

So far I've got: Upon intersection [itex]2x = \cos 3x + 2 \Rightarrow \cos 3x - 2x = - 2 [/itex]. This doesn't seem to help. I know we've done this type of thing ages ago, but I've since lost my notes and my minds gone blank. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about evaluating both functions at x=0.7 and x=0.8? See what you can do with that.

[itex]\cos(3 \times 0.7) +2 = 1.495...[/itex] , [itex]\cos(3 \times 0.8) +2 = 1.262...[/itex].
[itex]2 \times 0.7 = 1.4[/itex], [itex]2 \times 0.8 = 1.6[/itex].
All in radians. This doesn't seem to help??

Sure it does!
At x=0.7, we have the value as given by the straight line LOWER than that given by the cosine expression, whereas this is reversed at x=0.8
What does that tell you?

Ahhh, ofcourse! Tha x - value must lie sumwhere between them values! I wan looking for an exact solution. Thank's foryou help guys!

You're welcome.
Most equations cannot be solved for an exact solution in a finite number of steps.
Approximative techniques abound, though.

1. What does the inequality 0.7 < \alpha < 0.8 mean in this equation?

The inequality 0.7 < \alpha < 0.8 indicates that the value of \alpha must be between 0.7 and 0.8 in order for the equation to be true.

2. How does the value of \alpha affect the solution for x in this equation?

The value of \alpha directly affects the solution for x because it is used as a coefficient in the cosine function. As \alpha increases, the graph of the cosine function becomes narrower, resulting in a smaller range of possible solutions for x.

3. Can this equation have more than one solution for x?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions for x because the cosine function has a period of 2\pi. This means that the graph of the cosine function repeats itself every 2\pi units, resulting in an infinite number of possible solutions for x.

4. Is there a specific method for solving this equation?

Yes, there are several methods for solving this equation. One approach is to use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable x on one side of the equation. Another approach is to use a graphing calculator to visually determine the solutions. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate the solutions.

5. Can this equation be solved for other values of y?

Yes, this equation can be solved for any given value of y. However, the solutions for x may vary depending on the value of y and the range of possible values for \alpha. It is important to carefully consider the given values and range when solving for x in this equation.