1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic trig question

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    solve for x, if 0< x < 2(pie)

sin(x)+2sin(x)cos(x)=0

Correct me if im wrong but you can only solve this if the equation consists of all sin(x) or all cos(x). I realize that 2sinAcosA = sin2A but im in section 1 which is "simple trigonometric equations" and section 2 is "using identities in trigonometric equations" so I dont see why they would put a problem that uses identities in sections 1.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2
    Why do you need to use identities? Use the distributive law; in other words, pull the sin(x) out.

4. Nov 12, 2006 #3
    well I thought about that and I came up with sinx(1+2cosx) which I dont think is right because then I would get sinx+2cosxsinx.

5. Nov 12, 2006 #4
    when you have sinx(1+2cosx)=0 all you have to do is find the roots of the equation when sinx=0 and 1+2cosx=0

6. Nov 12, 2006 #5
    I understand the part about finding the roots but im confused that sinx+2sinxcosx = sinx(1+2cosx) because when I distribute i get sinx+2cosxsinx. is sinx+2cosxsinx the same as sinx+2sinxcosx?

also I thought in order to solve for x you had to have the same trig function. Right now the equation would be equivilant to x+2xy=0 trying to solve for x. thats why I thought you had to have the indentity in order to have only one variable.

I know im slow at this but in my defense im teaching myself out of "Trigonometry - 5th edition by Charles P. Mckeague and Mark D. Turner".

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  7. Nov 12, 2006 #6

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, it is, since real number (and real function) multiplication is a commutative operation.

8. Nov 12, 2006 #7
    Of course it is!

sin(x)(2+cos(x)) = 0
    => sin(x) = 0, cos(x) +0.5 = 0

9. Nov 12, 2006 #8
    yes sinx+2sinxcosx = sinx+2cosxsinx as long as you have the 2, cosx, and sinx being multiplied, it doesnt matter in what order you have them being multiplied, ex. sinx*cosx*2 = 2*cosx*sinx = cosx*2*sinx = ...

10. Nov 12, 2006 #9
    ok, that makes sence now. I was under the impression that the 2 stayed with its function, perhaps I was thinking of cos2x or sin2x?

11. Nov 12, 2006 #10
    probably, thats why soemtiems it helps to write sinx,cosx out as sin(x), cos(x)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?