1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic trig test question

1. Mar 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that cot [itex]\theta[/itex] = -12/5 and csc [itex]\theta[/itex] < 0, find sec[itex]\theta[/itex].

This was a question on a test that I drew a blank on, and I'm still not sure how to handle it due to my "teacher" repeatedly dismissing me when I try asking about it. Now, it occurred to me that this could be solved using trig identities and substitution. Starting with [itex]sin^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex] + [itex]cos^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex] = 1 and sin/cos = -5/12, I ended up with -
    sin = -5/13
    cos= 12/13
    tan= -5/12
    sec= 13/12

and I am confident this is the right answer. But, we have not covered trig identities in class so I am sure there is another easier way to solve this. My question is...what is it? Also, say you take the square root of a trig identity in an equation - how do you know weather it is positive or negative? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi e^(i Pi)+1=0! :smile:
    that is the way :smile:

(though it would be easier to memorise and use sec2 = tan2 + 1, csc2 = cot2 + 1 :wink:)

(another way of course is to say that if cot = 12/5, then it's obviously a 5,12,13 triangle, and then eg sec will be hyp/adj)
    you need to be told (as in this question)

btw, i can't see any latex :redface: … are other people having this problem?​

4. Mar 9, 2012 #3
    Even if you haven't covered [itex]sin^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex] + [itex]cos^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex] = 1 formally, I guess you could envisage a right-angled triangle with adjacent 12 and opposite 5, and get the hypotenuse with Pythagoras, for one.

5. Mar 9, 2012 #4
    Sometimes I don't see latex, but it always pops up after I refresh. Thank you for the quick responses.

edit - actually, my answer WAS wrong since I started with tan = -12/5 when it was -5/12, but it's fixed now.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook