1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Two Dimensional Problem.

1. Sep 9, 2009 #1
    Hey, everyone! Glad I found this forum, I plan to be using it a lot to try to expand my Knowledge, I currently taking an AP Physics class in my high school with no prior physics experience. The teacher however is really great! Anyway lets see what we got going here.
    (Note ▲=Delta)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball is thrown horizontally from the roof of a building 58 m tall and lands 50 m from the base. What was the ball's initial speed?

Vertical Known
    ▲Y=-58
    A Sub Y = -9.8m/s
    t=5.918s
    VnotY=?

Horizontal Known
    ▲X=50m
    VnotX= ?

2. Relevant equations
    t=5.918
    I got this because assuming that the distance of 58m was traveled going a speed of -9.8m/s (g) it equals 5.918! (Hopefully)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Its a long shot but I attempted to compare it to a problem done in school which was essentially the same but, involved an angle of the stone coming off the roof. Also different Knows were given. So this was my go

&delta Y=(VnotX)(t)² + (.5)(g)(t)² I put in what I know

-58=(VnotY)(5.91)² + (4.9)(5.91)² Attempted to solve for VnotY

-58=(VnotY)(34.9281) + (171.14)

(VnotY)=(34.9281)+(229.14) I added the -58 over

(VnotY)=264.07 : ( I dont think this is right...

So that is where I am, I may be completely off...

Ok! So I looked at the problem again found an Inherent flaw,

▲y=(VnotY)(t)+(.5)(g)(t)²

SO! It turns out (VnotY) is Zero...Making that all Null and void...
    So with some Algebra Magic I get t=3.43! With this I hope to get further...Will keep posted!

Another Update!!!
    While looking through my book found that while somthing is in free fall it has 0 Acceleration in the X-Axis! So that voids Half of the Equation!! Woo Go Physics! Making it simple and I found that the initial speed was 14.57

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2
    well done!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook