Adding Vectors with Given Lengths and Angle: A Basic Vector Problem

• Thread starter OrigamiCaptain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: If I understand you correctly, then you're supposed to add two vectors with lengths 10 and 14, and the only additional information you have is that the angle between them is 25°. I would denote the one of length 14 by u, and the one of length 10 by v, and I would choose the coordinate system so that u is on the x axis. Then do you see what the x and y coordinates of u and v are? Once you have u and v in the form ##(u_1,u_2)## and ##(v_1,v_2)##, you can just use the definition of addition: ##u+v=(u_1,u_2)+(v_1
OrigamiCaptain

Homework Statement

I included the problem as an attachment. There is not question other than the problem. It was on a white board.

Homework Equations

I have no idea what to do with the downwards vector. I vaguely remember that I can't do anything, but I'm not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

In the second attachment.

Thank you everyone for your help. I really want to understand this.

PS. My notation is a total disaster. What is the Y and what is the X?

Attachments

• Office Lens_20140927_205324.jpg
    Office Lens_20140927_205324.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 408
  • Office Lens_20140927_211555.jpg
    Office Lens_20140927_211555.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you adding the two vectors together? Is that the problem?

I'm going to assume so. In terms of notation, it is best just to choose an x-y coordinate system to place your vectors. Also, try drawing them both originating from the same point. After you set up a coordinate system, decompose each vector into it's x and y components (using trig) and see where to go from there.

sun18 said:
Are you adding the two vectors together? Is that the problem?

I'm going to assume so. In terms of notation, it is best just to choose an x-y coordinate system to place your vectors. Also, try drawing them both originating from the same point. After you set up a coordinate system, decompose each vector into it's x and y components (using trig) and see where to go from there.

I'm still really confused. I feel like I'm close, just not quite there...

Ok so I went to sleep and tried looking at it again in the morning. I figured out were my x and y should go so that is no longer an issue. I used 65% for my angle and got 12.68 for my x just like before and 18.9 for my y. Again not sure if this is right, but I'll definitely understand how to do this once I figure it out.

If anyone else has any ideas that would be really helpful. Thanks.

I'm not sure exactly what you did, but some of the numbers you got match my results, so you're probably on the right track, if you haven't solved the problem completely.

If I understand you correctly, then you're supposed to add two vectors with lengths 10 and 14, and the only additional information you have is that the angle between them is 25°. I would denote the one of length 14 by u, and the one of length 10 by v, and I would choose the coordinate system so that u is on the x axis. Then do you see what the x and y coordinates of u and v are? Once you have u and v in the form ##(u_1,u_2)## and ##(v_1,v_2)##, you can just use the definition of addition: ##u+v=(u_1,u_2)+(v_1,v_2)=(u_1+v_1,u_2+v_2)##. Since no coordinates were given in the problem statement, you may want to also find ##|u+v|## and the angle that ##u+v## makes with the x axis.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical concept used to represent quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction in space.

2. How do you add two vectors?

To add two vectors, you must first find their components (x and y coordinates) and then add them separately. The resulting vector will have a magnitude equal to the sum of the magnitudes of the original vectors and a direction determined by the angle between the two original vectors.

3. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. Take the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components (x and y coordinates).

4. How do you find the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be found using the inverse tangent function with the vector's y and x components. This will give you the angle in radians, which can be converted to degrees if necessary.

5. What are some real-world applications of vectors?

Vectors are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some real-world applications include calculating forces in structural design, determining wind or water currents, and creating 3D animations and video games.