Solve Basic Vector Problem: Hawk Speed & Shadow Speed in m/s

• Thread starter olliepower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, a hawk dives towards the ground at a speed of 4.24 m/s when the Sun is directly overhead. The speed of its shadow along the ground can be calculated by finding the x component of the velocity vector, which is 2.01013 m/s when the direction of motion is at an angle of 61.7 degrees below the horizontal. However, the answer was incorrect when entered in a homework program, so further clarification may be needed from the professor.
olliepower

Homework Statement

When the Sun is directly overhead, a hawk dives toward the ground at a speed of 4.24 m/s

If the direction of his motion is at an angle of 61.7 below the horizontal, calculate the speed of his shadow along the ground

Answer in units of m/s

Homework Equations

A_x = A cos[itex]\theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I will want to find the x component of the velocity vector.

4.24 Cos (-61.7) = 2.01013

I put this answer into my homework program (Quest) and it was wrong. What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Ollie. Your calc seems correct to me.
Sounds like a good opportunity to visit your prof.

1. What is a vector problem?

A vector problem involves the use of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In the context of this specific problem, vectors are used to represent the speed and direction of the hawk and its shadow.

2. How do you solve a basic vector problem?

To solve a basic vector problem, you need to first identify the given information and the unknown variables. Then, you can use vector addition and subtraction to find the resultant vector, which represents the combined effect of all the given vectors. Finally, use trigonometry to break down the resultant vector into its x and y components.

3. What are the units for speed in a vector problem?

In a vector problem, speed is typically represented in meters per second (m/s). This unit is commonly used in physics and other scientific fields to measure the rate of change of an object's position over time.

4. Can you use vector problems in real-life situations?

Yes, vector problems are commonly used in real-life situations, such as navigation, engineering, and sports. For example, a pilot uses vectors to calculate the speed and direction of an airplane, and a baseball player uses vectors to determine the trajectory of a ball.

5. What is the significance of solving vector problems in science?

Solving vector problems is essential in science because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects in space. By understanding how vectors work, we can analyze and model various physical phenomena, which can lead to advancements in technology and our understanding of the world around us.