Solving Basic Vector Problems: Understanding Direction and Speed in Cricket

• Thread starter tinybang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the problem involves a cricketer running north at 10 m/s and throwing a ball west at 24 m/s. The final velocity vector of the ball can be found by adding the two velocity vectors, resulting in a speed of 26 m/s. To find the direction, a right triangle can be drawn with the legs representing the north and west components of the velocity vectors, and the hypotenuse representing the final velocity vector. Using the Pythagorean theorem and inverse trigonometric functions, the direction can be calculated to be 67 degrees 23 minutes west of north.
tinybang
This is problem very basic for all of you but I am struggling to grasp this.

Heres the problem
A cricketer is running due north with a cricket ball at 10 m/s and throws the ball due west at 24 m/s. Find the direction of the ball and its speed.

Please give me a details explanation as I am completely 100% lost with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can define two vectors given your data, say ##\vec u## and ##\vec v##:
  1. Can you find ##\vec u+\vec v## ?
  2. What does the vector ##\vec u+\vec v## represent?

Worked out the speed 26 m/s Answer sheet tells me 67 degrees 23 min west of north? How does it arrive at that??

tinybang said:
Answer sheet tells me 67 degrees 23 min west of north? How does it arrive at that??

Draw the triangle that is made up of the (final) velocity vector and it's Northern and Western components.

Can you use the known information to find the direction?

Did you understand what Hakim Philo said? The cricketer is running N at 10 m/s. You can take his velocity vector as a vector with length 10 pointing N. The ball, which was moving along with the cricketer, is thrown W at 24 m/s. You can take its velocity vector, relative to the cricketer, to be a vector with length 24 pointing W. Since N and W are at right angles, their vector sum is the hypotenuse of a right triangle with legs of length 10 and 24. You say you got 26 m/s for the speed of the ball, relative to the ground. I presume you got that using the Pythagorean theorem. The angle can be found by using the fact that if a right triangle has "opposite side" of length a and "near side" of length b, then the angle is given by [itex]tan(\theta)= a/b[/itex] so that [itex]\theta= arctan(a/b)[/itex].

ahh got it. Thanks for the help. Turns out I drew the triangle upside down so of course I was never going to get the degrees correct. :)

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow in a coordinate system, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

What are the basic operations on vectors?

The basic operations on vectors include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, and dot product. Addition and subtraction involve combining two vectors to create a new vector, while scalar multiplication involves multiplying a vector by a scalar (a single number). The dot product is a way to measure the angle between two vectors and is used in various applications such as physics and engineering.

What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. In other words, a scalar is a single number, while a vector is a combination of multiple numbers and a direction.

How do you represent a vector mathematically?

A vector can be represented mathematically in different ways, including using coordinates, using unit vectors, or using matrices. Using coordinates involves specifying the x, y, and z components of the vector in a coordinate system. Unit vectors are vectors with a magnitude of 1 that are used to indicate direction. Matrices can be used to represent multiple vectors at once and perform operations on them.

What are some real-world applications of vectors?

Vectors have many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to represent forces, velocities, and other physical quantities in physics. In engineering, vectors are used in structural analysis and fluid dynamics. In computer graphics, vectors are used to create 3D models and animations.