Solving a Basic Vectors Problem: Huck Finn's Velocity on a Raft

• Thread starter TheNovice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, Huck Finn is traveling at a velocity of 2.9 m/s relative to the river bank, with a speed of 1.0 m/s in the +y direction and 2.7 m/s in the +x direction due to the river. This can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and using trigonometric functions to find the angle from the axis parallel to the river bank. With this explanation, the problem becomes simple to understand and solve.
TheNovice
Huck Finn walks North across a raft at a speed of 1.0 m/s while the raft is traveling east at a speed of 2.7 m/s relative to the river bank. What is the velocity of Huck relative to the river bank?

Well can't really think of any

I'm REALLY new to physics and I was stumped from the start. Apparently the answer is 2.9 m/s but I'm absolutely lost. Anyone help out a clueless fool?

Physics news on Phys.org
so try drawing a diagram of this. Break this up into X, and Y components (do you know what components are?) So huck is moving 1.0 m/s in the +y direction and 2.7 m/s in the +x direction due to the river. So how do we add vectors? we use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude (although you don't really need to do this, you can just express your answer in terms of i and j unit vectors).

Once you find the magnitude, you can find the angle from the axis parallel to the river bank using trig inverse functions.

Thanks!

TheNovice said:
Thanks!

you're welcome. I presume you had no problems?

Yeah dude, it's simple after your explanation.

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented graphically as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

What is a basic vector problem?

A basic vector problem is a mathematical practice problem that involves using vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication, to solve for unknown quantities or relationships between vectors.

What are the common operations used in basic vector problems?

The most common operations used in basic vector problems are addition, subtraction, and multiplication. Addition involves combining two or more vectors to find the resulting vector. Subtraction involves finding the difference between two vectors. Multiplication involves multiplying a vector by a scalar (a number) to change its magnitude or direction.

How do I solve basic vector problems?

To solve basic vector problems, you should first identify the known and unknown vectors and their corresponding magnitudes and directions. Then, use the appropriate vector operations to manipulate the known vectors and find the unknown quantities or relationships.

Why are basic vector problems important?

Basic vector problems are important because they help us understand and apply the concept of vectors in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.